The Student Room Group

Which job is better ?

Hi guys,

To be straight I was unable to get a summer internship in front office which has always been my ambition don't see many opportunities to take that route.

Anyway, 2 jobs

Operations analyst in Trading at a major BB
Or
Portfolio analyst at a respected asset management firm

Which would pay more in say 10 years and what salary would I be looking at ?
Original post by Student199
Hi guys,

To be straight I was unable to get a summer internship in front office which has always been my ambition don't see many opportunities to take that route.

Anyway, 2 jobs

Or

Portfolio Analytics sounds way more interesting than Ops, if I'm honest. You'd at least get to work on some interesting projects vs being the facilitation/settlement monkey for a trading desk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Portfolio Analytics sounds way more interesting than Ops, if I'm honest. You'd at least get to work on some interesting projects vs being the facilitation/settlement monkey for a trading desk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'd have to agree, but purely on the basis of earning potential, would I be correct in thinking that the salary for ops will be higher ?
Definitely go with the portfolio analyst job imo. Not really sure about the salary in 10 years time though, if you make PM in 10 years you could be making loads depending on your firm. Think 7 fig salaries are quite common amongst PMs.
Hi guys,

Anyway, 2 jobs

Or

The latter, you could eventually end up a fund manager. Start in ops you'll probably be in Ops forever...
Reply 5
Thanks guys, I was thinking the same, the AM job seems more my thing, the salary is a fair way below the ops job but I assume the exit ops for this job would be much better.
Yeah I'd have to agree, but purely on the basis of earning potential, would I be correct in thinking that the salary for ops will be higher ?

They'd be fairly similar.. Is this BR you're talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daniel9998
Definitely go with the portfolio analyst job imo. Not really sure about the salary in 10 years time though, if you make PM in 10 years you could be making loads depending on your firm. Think 7 fig salaries are quite common amongst PMs.

Portfolio Analytics doesn't lead to PM bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Portfolio Analytics doesn't lead to PM bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh my bad, ignore what I said then
Both jobs are good paths but I don't think you will succeed in any. You will constantly wish you were doing your first choice job. Think carefully.

Operations is good but you have to go in on a graduate Programme or else you'll not end up on project based roles/teams. It depends what you want to do in future.

Portfolio Analytics is good too. Again, don't expect much since you're going in as direct hire.

Banks do not care so much about direct hires at entry level.

Banks care about developing graduates on graduate Programme to become leaders regardless of what division you're in.

If you still want to pick one: if the Operations entry level role is at GS, UBS or BarCap reject it and go for the Portfolio Analytics. If the Operations role is at JPM, Credit Suisse or BNP take it instead of the portfolio analytics role.
Original post by GoldmanSucks
Both jobs are good paths but I don't think you will succeed in any. You will constantly wish you were doing your first choice job. Think carefully.

Operations is good but you have to go in on a graduate Programme or else you'll not end up on project based roles/teams. It depends what you want to do in future.

Portfolio Analytics is good too. Again, don't expect much since you're going in as direct hire.

Banks do not care so much about direct hires at entry level.

Banks care about developing graduates on graduate Programme to become leaders regardless of what division you're in.

If you still want to pick one: if the Operations entry level role is at GS, UBS or BarCap reject it and go for the Portfolio Analytics. If the Operations role is at JPM, Credit Suisse or BNP take it instead of the portfolio analytics role.

Why? I don't understand why OP should choose Ops at JPM, BNP or CS over GS, UBS or Barcap? Just wondering...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending