The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MetroGnome
Ohh I heard about someone who, in their general studies exam, decided to write an essay why it shouldn't be a compulsory subject.

Needless to say, the exam board got annoyed and decided to disqualify him from all their exams. :rolleyes: He wasn't pleased....

Oh and re your post, I thought the invigilators just put them in envelopes + sent them straight off. I guess it's better for you that it didn't get sent, considering the board might DQ you from other exams.

According to the exam officer at my college, papers are checked twice before dispatch to ensure no information is missing on the front on the booklet.
Reply 41
MetroGnome

Needless to say, the exam board got annoyed and decided to disqualify him from all their exams. :rolleyes: He wasn't pleased....

that never really happened, did it..
Reply 42
SamLowry
ur an idiot. plain and simple.

Wow. Such indepth and sound advice there. I'm sure it will come in great use to the OP. Blue Peter badge for you!

Tabby: If you really want the exam marked, even if it's just for the principle of it, could you arrange a meeting with your school's head teacher to discuss it? Or contact the exam board and explain the situation? Seems bang out of line that they would rifle through your exam paper like that.
Reply 43
Its not even legal for your school to retain your script. You know all the things you signed at the front.. that gives you the right to send of whatever you want in the script inside, and it should get marked. The examiners will then decide if you are abusing the system (even though technically you are not, as you can say thats your idea of maths)
This is an external exam, and so all your school is acting as, is a place to take your exam. They can't control anything else... they get paid to hold the exams at there premises! Its just like you going to a college to take the exam yourself.
Your school doesn't have the right to withold the script, and I am very surprised they even opened the booklet. Have you done something like this before? so it gave them reason to go snooping?

If what your saying is true, you have grounds to take serious action against your school.
Reply 44
T_Bag
I know of someone who wrote an essay about why they hated a subject while doing the exam, when results came back a letter came for him refferring him to visit a psychiatrist.

If pharmacists aren't allowed to even tell you outright that you have a medical problem when they detect one, I doubt that an exam board had the authority to write a referral for a student they've only encountered once vicariously through their exam to see a psychiatrist, especially considering the difficulty with which people who consult their doctors get referred. Even making the suggestion that he see a psychiatrist is highly unprofessional, and no exam board would find it necessary.

To everyone calling the OP stupid - who cares? Honestly, how can you be that offended by someone writing something unrelated in their exam?

OP - No I don't suppose they have the right to make such detailed decisions regarding your exam paper or its payment. If it's an A2 exam, I suggest you don't demand that they send it off anyway as it may cause problems with your exam board if they happen to care, but I'd definitely ignore the bill they're landing you with. Frankly I think you did the right thing in not sitting the exam properly. You're an adult now and so it's not up to the school to force you to participate in lessons which you choose not to. While they may make you turn up, they can't make you learn.
Reply 45
I'm afraid a similar thing happened to my friend last year in AS. He, like yourself, did not do his C1/C2 paper and instead wrote comments about various different teachers on the papers. We (circle of friends) were amazed why he did it because he's a naturally intelligent person. Anyway as soon as this was found out, he was disqualified from all his exams and expelled from our college straight after.

Also he told me that he was not allowed to enter a college/6th form in the same borough? Don't know how much of that is true, but he ended up going to another college outside the borough. So I guess it depends on how strict your college it about this. These exams aren't something silly like Year 9 SATs, they're serious and should be treated like so! Or you yourself face serious consequences. :frown:
Reply 46
I know of someone who wrote a diatribe against Nottingham University's exam system in the 70s, in French finals, instead of answering the questions. They gave him a first.
Reply 47
Beenom
I'm afraid a similar thing happened to my friend last year in AS. He, like yourself, did not do his C1/C2 paper and instead wrote comments about various different teachers on the papers. We (circle of friends) were amazed why he did it because he's a naturally intelligent person. Anyway as soon as this was found out, he was disqualified from all his exams and expelled from our college straight after.

Also he told me that he was not allowed to enter a college/6th form in the same borough? Don't know how much of that is true, but he ended up going to another college outside the borough. So I guess it depends on how strict your college it about this. These exams aren't something silly like Year 9 SATs, they're serious and should be treated like so! Or you yourself face serious consequences. :frown:

How come this actually worries me a lot more than the other posts in this thread?

Anyway, thanks for all the reponses (so far). I knew some people would get riled up about it, but everyone has been helpful in some way or another. I just wanted to know what could happen from what I did and if my school were right in going through my paper, which, looks like, for the most part they shouldn't have, regardless of the content. Though, to be fair on the school and people calling me a moron, I threw away an opportunity most people don't get, which was foolish, but it's done now and I can't dwell on it. I've got my exams for my other 3 subjects to revise for.
Reply 48
Tabris
How come this actually worries me a lot more than the other posts in this thread?

Anyway, thanks for all the reponses (so far). I knew some people would get riled up about it, but everyone has been helpful in some way or another. I just wanted to know what could happen from what I did and if my school were right in going through my paper, which, looks like, for the most part they shouldn't have, regardless of the content. Though, to be fair on the school and people calling me a moron, I threw away an opportunity most people don't get, which was foolish, but it's done now and I can't dwell on it. I've got my exams for my other 3 subjects to revise for.

Yes mate :smile:, at least the worst did not happen! Fingers crossed your college/6th form will be leniet. And look at my friend, he ended up going to the same college as Miss England... Hammasa Kohistani! Search in google :biggrin:
Reply 49
Fantastic stuff. I'll post on this thread after my General Studies exam tomorrow. My college already think I'm taking the piss by refusing to do my Key Skills assignment - let's see where the funniest GS exam script of all time gets me to.
Reply 50
Does every school/the teachers at every school, look through the exam scripts before they are sent off then?
Reply 51
MetroGnome
Ohh I heard about someone who, in their general studies exam, decided to write an essay why it shouldn't be a compulsory subject.

Needless to say, the exam board got annoyed and decided to disqualify him from all their exams. :rolleyes: .

I'm sure :rolleyes:
Reply 52
screw your school, i think what you did is hilarious!
Reply 53
Well if the invigilators saw you writing an essay in the middle of a maths exam... They might feel it was necerssary to have a flick through to ensure that you had the right paper and everything! They do have brains, you know.
Reply 54
NOt sure if this has been said, or not but anyway...

Id be thankful that your school arent sending it off. yes its a stupid that theyve taken it in to their own hands, but if they sent it of to the exam board, they would be more then likely to say "we arent waisting our time on them" and then disqualify them. the school cant really disquallify you, its down to the examining board to make that decission.

if future though, it might be best just to not write anything as apposed to ranting about the school =]
Reply 55
loool this is funny
Reply 56
Well a lot of people are being *****.
It's your paper, you technically answered one question, therefore you sat the paper.
You cannot be charged for being absent from a paper when you did sit the paper... kind of.

You also cannot be disqualified from any exams. It's completely unfair. Regarding your school looking through your exam paper, yeah they can probably do that but they can't decide whether or not it should be still sent off.

Although you probably should of done the work and at least got an E :P But if you hated the subject that much I spose... Your school probably just didn't want an U/E grade on their pass rate so decided to pull you so it didn't affect their image.

Don't let this one drop!
Are some people actually trying to justify what the school did?
Lol, your school sounds like a joke, but you sound like a motivated person who doesn't like to be "confined" by their regulations and forcing you to do a subject, thus affecting your performance on your other qualification etc etc

I just see this as a form of PEACEFUL PROTEST, at least he didn't set his exam paper on FIRE (lol some of you will know - what I'm talking about)

Anyway OP, hope it all works out in the end, you dont need this issue at the moment. I dont see how they can MAKE you pay, just dont AGREE to paying and you wont have to. Focus on your last exams and you will get those grades and wont have to see your teacher again.

Regards,

Shady
Reply 58
While I think you're an absolutely stupendous pratt for doing what you did, I must thank you for the great laugh I had reading this thread. Great comedy when you're bored.
At my College last year a student decided to refer all of his AQA GCSE General Studies questions to the TV Show Lost, subsequently after the College checked through (one assumes) all candidate papers, they noticed this and disqualified him from the exam, and prevented him from sitting the AS-Level General Studies this year.

Latest