The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA paper 1- revision

Scroll to see replies

Original post by not_lucas1
Anybody else think paper 2 seems much easier than paper 1 in regards to topics?

I hate the biopsychology stuff but I like psychopathology
has everyone started revising for paper 2? or leaving it till after pper 1
Original post by THESTRESS

Leaving mine until after paper 1, not give myself enough time but i feel like if i work hard ill get it done
Just making sure, is research methods just paper 2? The aqa website says its only paper 2 but I'm doing a specimen paper now and indepenent/matched pairs design have come up?!?!

I've done some paper 2 revision, but the last few days have been dedicated to Paper 1.
Plus I think Paper 2 is significantly easier.
Just making sure, is research methods just paper 2? The aqa website says its only paper 2 but I'm doing a specimen paper now and indepenent/matched pairs design have come up?!?!

No there will be research methods on this, but not a huge lot dedicated to it...its bits here and there, whereas paper 2 hs a whole section for it,
Can anyone give a model 12 marker on zimbardo study because there's so much to write for AO1 and not enough time to write that much detail - just want a balance between AO1 & AO3

Thankyou :smile:
No there will be research methods on this, but not a huge lot dedicated to it...its bits here and there, whereas paper 2 hs a whole section for it,

good job you've told me, not done any revision on them in while, unless i missed something on their website, the explanation of what could come up is shite
Can someone help me? I'm one of the only students in my class taking the AS exams and I'm unsure what the difference is between the two papers? Are there certain topics that will come up in paper 1 (tomorrow) that I need to revise more thoroughly? Is it possible for anyone to give me a list of topics for each of the papers?
Thanks for any help.
Reply 109
Original post by JoshChip
Can someone help me? I'm one of the only students in my class taking the AS exams and I'm unsure what the difference is between the two papers? Are there certain topics that will come up in paper 1 (tomorrow) that I need to revise more thoroughly? Is it possible for anyone to give me a list of topics for each of the papers?
Thanks for any help.

paper 1 is social influence/ memory/ attachment
paper 2 is biopsychology/ psychopathology/ research methods
good luck!!
Original post by ali99
paper 1 is social influence/ memory/ attachment
paper 2 is biopsychology/ psychopathology/ research methods
good luck!!

Thanks so much! Good luck to you too
Reply 111
Will/ could the sign test come up tomorrow?!
Original post by goal101
Can anyone give a model 12 marker on zimbardo study because there's so much to write for AO1 and not enough time to write that much detail - just want a balance between AO1 & AO3

Thankyou :smile:

ive just summed it up in my notes, it might help

Zimbardo Prison Study: Understanding conformity to social roles (aim)·
Volunteers randomly assigned to guard or prisoner roles·
Prisoners arrested by real police and called by ID numbers·
Guards wore uniforms and prisoners wore prisoner uniforms
Findings:
Zimbardo found that prisoners behaved in a submissive and anxious way whilst guards acted in an intimidating and authoritative way
Evaluation:
:frown: No protection from harm some prisoners had mental breakdowns
:frown: Dual role of Zimbardo prevented right to withdraw
:frown: No informed consent prisoners actually arrested
:frown: Demand characteristics guards acted like guards because they were in a study and may have guessed the aim
:frown: Reicher and Haslam conducted a study and found the opposite findings
:smile: Real life application this study led to the reformation of prisons, improving life for prisoners)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ali99
Will/ could the sign test come up tomorrow?!

Yes
can someone sum up the sign test - the steps on how to do it
In evaluations, do we have to have at least one positive and one negative, or can they be all either positive or negative? Because for some of my revision notes, i've only been learning negatives and it's only just occurred to me :/ Like for Zimbardo, could I just use 3 in-depth evaluation points about how there could have been demand characteristics, bad ethics and Reicher and Haslam finding opposite findings (Obviously putting much more detail than that) and it would be enough to get high marks? Or do i need at least one advantage point as well?
Original post by Laurenloops
In evaluations, do we have to have at least one positive and one negative, or can they be all either positive or negative? Because for some of my revision notes, i've only been learning negatives and it's only just occurred to me :/ Like for Zimbardo, could I just use 3 in-depth evaluation points about how there could have been demand characteristics, bad ethics and Reicher and Haslam finding opposite findings (Obviously putting much more detail than that) and it would be enough to get high marks? Or do i need at least one advantage point as well?

Zimbardo's study does have a positive real world application - it led to the reforming of prison living quality, improving prisoners life in prison
ive just summed it up in my notes, it might help
goal101

Zimbardo Prison Study: Understanding conformity to social roles (aim)·
Volunteers randomly assigned to guard or prisoner roles·
Prisoners arrested by real police and called by ID numbers·
Guards wore uniforms and prisoners wore prisoner uniforms
Findings:
Zimbardo found that prisoners behaved in a submissive and anxious way whilst guards acted in an intimidating and authoritative way
Evaluation:
:frown: No protection from harm some prisoners had mental breakdowns
:frown: Dual role of Zimbardo prevented right to withdraw
:frown: No informed consent prisoners actually arrested - It was a voluntary sample! The arrest was to get participants into the mindset.
:frown: Demand characteristics guards acted like guards because they were in a study and may have guessed the aim
:frown: Reicher and Haslam conducted a study and found the opposite findings
:smile: Real life application this study led to the reformation of prisons, improving life for prisoners)

You've got it a little wrong and there's no key terms??? You're losing marks already.

Findings:
Guards and prisoners adapted to their social roles quickly.. this shows that social roles can influence our behaviour. Eg, Well-balanced men became unpleasant and aggressive in the role of guard.

Evaluation:
:frown: can't generalise to females as only male participants used.
:smile: Controlled observation, so good control of variables.
:frown: artificial environment, so lacks ecological validity.
:frown: unethical - caused distress and experiment had to stop 2 days into the 8 day experiment.
due to the increasing aggressiveness of guards (they were creating new ways to torture prisoners).
:frown: observer bias - Zimbardo was involved himself.
:frown: the conclusion doesn't explain why only some of the participants acted according to their role.
:smile: Real life application this study led to the reformation of prisons, improving life for prisoners.

Reicher and Haslam (2006) repeated the study (BBC Prison Study) found that participants didn't fit into their expected social roles suggesting they're flexible.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Findlay6
You've got it a little wrong and there's no key terms??? You're losing marks already.

Findings:
Guards and prisoners adapted to their social roles quickly.. this shows that social roles can influence our behaviour. Eg, Well-balanced men became unpleasant and aggressive in the role of guard.

Evaluation:
:frown: can't generalise to females as only male participants used.
:smile: Controlled observation, so good control of variables.
:frown: artificial environment, so lacks ecological validity.
:frown: unethical - caused distress and experiment had to stop 2 days into the 8 day experiment.
due to the increasing aggressiveness of guards (they were creating new ways to torture prisoners).
:frown: observer bias - Zimbardo was involved himself.
:frown: the conclusion doesn't explain why only some of the participants acted according to their role.

my evaluation points are correct but when you say no key terms do you mean i have to include things like 'social roles'?
my evaluation points are correct but when you say no key terms do you mean i have to include things like 'social roles'?

Social roles
generalise
controlled observation
variables
ecological validity
unethical
observer bias.

Look at a mark scheme. You won't get higher than 6 marks if you don't include technical or psychological language.
I'm a teacher, trust me :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending