Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need help fatst for a singing audition!

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

At my school we are doing the production of The Addams Family Musical and as I am taking GCSE Drama I have been encouraged to audition for a main role, something I would really love to do. However, I am a terrible singer; I never sing in a good pitch and as soon as I get nervous or stretch for a higher note my voice breaks/wobbles. Any tips on how to improve my singing voice, so that I don't embarrass myself at this audition, or how to sing the song Pulled from the Addams Family would be greatly appreciated.

And I am aware that fast is spelt wrong in the title - it's because of my dodgy keyboard and me constantly rushing! 😂😂

I picked GCSE Drama too! We recently did a school musical which obviously I had to sing for the audition however I have lessons so it wasn't to bad.
    I would recommend finding your comfortable voal range and then making sure your audition sing is within that range. Do you get to pick a song or are you given it for the audition?
    And find some warm ups on YouTube or just hum up and down a scale and then sing up and down a scale. If you have a piano or keyboard to hand, either at home or school, try to play the note when you sing it so it will help you find your pitch.
    And last but certainly not least, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Because even though I have singing lessons if I don't practice I can hear quite clearly I am not as good as I could be.
    The more you practice the easier your voice finds the notes to sing so the better and smoother it will sound.
    Good Luck on your audition and I'm sure you will smash it!

thanks for the tips. The audition is tomorrow and I'm definitely going to practice with a piano to help with my pitch. I'll tell you how it went when we get told our parts.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.