Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post


University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I am actually trying to find some information out on Post Graduate Loans.
    Can I just confirm if an EU national is allowed to apply for a PGL?
    I spoke to someone from the Student Loan Company yesterday. They informed me that, as long as the EU student is living in the UK prior to the start of the course in question, they were entitled to apply for a loan.
    On your site here I see the following information:
    To apply for a Postgraduate Loan you must:

    be a UK or EU national or have settled status (this means that there are no restrictions on how long you can stay in the UK),
    normally live in England, and
    have been living in the UK for at least three years before the start of your course.

    and then:
    If you’re an EU national and don’t normally live in England, your university must be in England.

    The loan amount would be for the cost of the actual tuition fees. I just wondered if there was also a living costs loan that could be taken?

    EU National yes.

    You can find all the information on this link or someone will answer on the FSE forum.


    As you can see you can apply if you are in the UK and living here for the 3 years preceding the start of the course.
    Living in the EEA or Switzerland for the 3 years prior and the Uni is in England. It doesnt make any reference on the site, but I can see it being true that there is no maintenance element for EU applicants on the 3 year rule, so it would be course fee only up to a max £10,000.

    Am sure PQ or one of the others will confirm that aspect for you.

    There is no separate living cost loan. Home students get up to £10 to cover the cost of both. You just need it confirming if EU students are limited to tuition fees only and if so may get less than £10k.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.