Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lonely postgraduate life

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I apologise if this has been covered before and if there are already many threads on it. I have recently returned to the student room after a number of years away from it and am a bit out of touch with what's being discussed.

I just wondered if anyone else finds themselves in a similar predicament. I am in my 20s and am living back at home in the Midlands with my parents after university and a stint living in London. I have a good job and don't particularly mind living with my parents. I am reasonably happy with those areas of life.

However, I am extremely lonely and my social circle has become non-existent. I do have friendships that I continue online because distance dictates that it's not possible to see the people anymore (mostly university friends.) However, apart from dating, I haven't had any face to face social interaction for a long time.

I am not sure how to go about making some friends. I am doing some postgraduate study and do go to local universities to use the libraries etc. However, I'm not sure how to go about actually meeting like-minded people. I have had some success with internet dating and I'm not sure if there's anything similar but just for meeting new friends.

I am female and interested in the usual things really, although I am not much of a clubber (even in my undergrad days) I am willing to give almost any new activity a try if it meant kick starting my social life. Having said that, I'd be equally happy to meet people at a similar life stage who just want to go out and get coffee or drinks and share the details of their day.

I have quite a lot of free time over the next three months and would like to use this time to start to have a life outside of work again.

Any advice from anyone in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

You should try meet up dot com as you can search for your interests and go along to things. I've never used it, but a lot of my friends have & they love it. Also try joining a society at your uni, that's a great way to meet people. Maybe an evening in class in something as well.
    All the best!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.