The Student Room Group

Has anyone else not make any friends?

I'm guessing that there will be quite a few people like me who haven't made any friends but everyone around me seems to be having the time of their life. I've just been feeling incredibly lonely recently, everyone always says uni is the time to meet your lifelong friends but I've just been finding it hard.

I've just finished first year and although it was good and I enjoyed the course I just feel sad that I don't know anyone apart from my flatmates. I feel like I should put myself out there more so I'm planning on joining some societies in September but just wondering if anyone else has had trouble making friends or in what year most people made them? (I'm guessing most will be first year)
Original post by ellai17
I'm guessing that there will be quite a few people like me who haven't made any friends but everyone around me seems to be having the time of their life. I've just been feeling incredibly lonely recently, everyone always says uni is the time to meet your lifelong friends but I've just been finding it hard.

I've just finished first year and although it was good and I enjoyed the course I just feel sad that I don't know anyone apart from my flatmates. I feel like I should put myself out there more so I'm planning on joining some societies in September but just wondering if anyone else has had trouble making friends or in what year most people made them? (I'm guessing most will be first year)

With friends it's difficult to just expect things to happen for you and for them to come to you, and just relying on your course to make friends. If you want to make a lot more, you've got to put yourself out there like you've said and meet loads of people and you just might click with some of them.
Original post by ellai17

did you struggle making friends at college?
I'm in the same boat. I'm at the end of second year and I've not really made any new friends beyond those I already knew from school. The few friends I did make only really lasted for a semester before we drifted away.
Original post by RastaSalad
I'm in the same boat. I'm at the end of second year and I've not really made any new friends beyond those I already knew from school. The few friends I did make only really lasted for a semester before we drifted away.

im in the same position
Reply 5
Sorry to interrupt but could anyone give me some advice? I don t know if I want to take a gap year but I ve already accepted an offer for uni in September. Anyone got any advice??? Should I travel then reapply for uni next year? I m 18 so not sure what to do althought I do know I definitely want to go to uni and I know what I want to study, I just don t know if I want to see the world first.
I'm graduating next month and I made a few very casual friends during first year. They will probably forget me in a few months time and never speak to me again. One of the cruel facts of life- not every one is able to secure lifelong friendships. :frown:

Everyone just comes and goes.

Stay strong and try your best. :smile: x
I'm in the same situation, I am averaging 75% so doing well but the social situation is awful, I didn't make any friends whatsoever. I'm in a foundation year and I've been told it's going to be differentnext year.

It's kinda difficult to make friends at my uni as the lectures are big and people change seats constantly. There's only a few people I say hi to and I get the impression that alot of people don't want friends so don't approach.

I get down alot hearing people having fun outside. I try and smile and go to clubs but it never works. I'm just not a very loud person.

It makes me sad because I feel like I would be a good friend for people. Unless your a loud extrovert people don't flock to you, I guess.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending