The Student Room Group

Economics & Business Management, can I drop Economics?

Currently I am taking 5 AS levels, French (in which I am bilingual), Economics, Physics, Maths & Further Maths. If I were to drop Economics at A2 would top universities such as Oxford look at my application with a bias even though the course I am applying to do is Economics & Business Management. The reason for dropping Economics at A2 is the fact that it is a writing subject and thus harder for me to get high UMS in comparison to the more math related courses.
I know that Oxford does not require Economics at AS or A2 for any applications to its courses but will dropping it send the wrong message to the Application board?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers
Original post by aliguy
Currently I am taking 5 AS levels, French (in which I am bilingual), Economics, Physics, Maths & Further Maths. If I were to drop Economics at A2 would top universities such as Oxford look at my application with a bias even though the course I am applying to do is Economics & Business Management. The reason for dropping Economics at A2 is the fact that it is a writing subject and thus harder for me to get high UMS in comparison to the more math related courses.
I know that Oxford does not require Economics at AS or A2 for any applications to its courses but will dropping it send the wrong message to the Application board?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers

I'd drop Admissions an email. If you're a French native, French won't count, and I'm not entirely sure Maths and Further Maths count as two separate subjects. Best to check and make sure you're good to go. I suppose the tutors might also wonder why Economics at university level if you dropped it for AS/ A levels (which would suggest you did have some interest, but not enough to continue). Why not drop French instead?

More generally, I personally think it's a good idea to have an essay subject if you can manage it; Economics and Management (I assume that's what you're applying for - Oxford doesn't have a course called Economics and Business Management) is quite essay heavy, particularly on the Management side. An essay subject would be good practice for university, although certainly not necessary.
Reply 2
Original post by mishieru07
I'd drop Admissions an email. If you're a French native, French won't count, and I'm not entirely sure Maths and Further Maths count as two separate subjects. Best to check and make sure you're good to go. I suppose the tutors might also wonder why Economics at university level if you dropped it for AS/ A levels (which would suggest you did have some interest, but not enough to continue). Why not drop French instead?

More generally, I personally think it's a good idea to have an essay subject if you can manage it; Economics and Management (I assume that's what you're applying for - Oxford doesn't have a course called Economics and Business Management) is quite essay heavy, particularly on the Management side. An essay subject would be good practice for university, although certainly not necessary.

Thanks for your answer - I am not a French native but have lived there for 4 years, I assume they will still look at French as a real A level, the sole reason for me taking it at AS however is to get a definite A* at A2 whilst also being regarded as quite a challenging A level.

Ill take your advice and shoot them an email, cheers for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending