The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Application for (Bsc) Actuarial Science - Previous Uni results

After a series of severe health issues, I took gap year between 2013 until now for recovery. Upon recovery this year, I decided to stop with my course at my uni and apply for a new course, because I think actuarial science is better fit for me. I started my undergraduate course in 2010 at a respectable university in London, and did not do particularly well, especially in year two when my health issues started to get severe, even thou I passed the exams successfully.

After a several emails exchange, Heriot-Watt asked for scanned copy of my A-Level certificates and record of results when I was in Uni.

I would like to know how much attention do they usually pay regarding my results I had for my first two years of my studies. I am worried my "not so good" results in Uni will make a big impact on decision, even thou they have commented that I have excellent A-Level results.

I am very determined to study there and I will definitely make the most out of what the course will offer. I have already started reading notes about CT1 and finanical maths to just reivse what I had done before. I really hope they will offer me a place.
Hi Drewma007,

Its quite a complicated case... I will do my best to help you out.

It may be easier if I have more details from you so can you send me a private message with some more details about yourself. UCAS ID and your real name would be good, then I look you up on our system.

If you prefer you can always contact the admissions tutor directly on [email protected] however Holly (the admissions tutor for Actuarial Science) is on holiday at the moment so it may take a few days for the department to get back to you.

Cheers,
Keir
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi Drewma007,

Its quite a complicated case... I will do my best to help you out.

It may be easier if I have more details from you so can you send me a private message with some more details about yourself. UCAS ID and your real name would be good, then I look you up on our system.

If you prefer you can always contact the admissions tutor directly on [email protected] however Holly (the admissions tutor for Actuarial Science) is on holiday at the moment so it may take a few days for the department to get back to you.

Cheers,
Keir

Hello Keir,

Holly was the one who asked me for the transcript via email, and i sent my transcripts out last Friday.
Guess what, I recieved an unconditional offer from you guys today, so I guess the problem has been sorted.

I am generally very pleased with you guys, and your admission staffs have been very helpful.
I am still waiting for the deicisions from other unis before I can make reply to your offer.

I have heard your institution is one of the best universities in the UK offering "practical course" for actuarial science. Even thou it will be a big change in location, I am really considering coming over to study at your institution.

Thank you anyway!

Regards,
Andrew
Original post by drewma007
Hello Keir,

Holly was the one who asked me for the transcript via email, and i sent my transcripts out last Friday.
Guess what, I recieved an unconditional offer from you guys today, so I guess the problem has been sorted.

I am generally very pleased with you guys, and your admission staffs have been very helpful.
I am still waiting for the deicisions from other unis before I can make reply to your offer.

I have heard your institution is one of the best universities in the UK offering "practical course" for actuarial science. Even thou it will be a big change in location, I am really considering coming over to study at your institution.

Thank you anyway!

Regards,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Congrats!!! :banana:

Very pleased you had a good experience and I will pass on your message to Holly.

Totally understand that it is a massive decision. Our Actuarial Science coursedoes offer a lot of practical experience. It also offers max accreditation for 8 of the exams (CT1 - CT8). We also offer a diploma in industrial training (year out to work for a company) or a year abroad (at our Malaysia campus). So there are lots of things you can add on to your degree here at Heriot-Watt.

If you have any questions about HW or if you are looking to come for a visit just ask :smile:.

Cheers,
Keir

Quick Reply

Latest