Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

What has been your experience with accommodation?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

So my plan is to go to Portsmouth university if you haven't already guessed and it's come to the stage at which i need to sort out my first year accommodation.
    Now to put it bluntly i'm terrible with making food and even budgeting for food so i'm going to go for either part/full catered options that exist within Rees and Burrell and Langstone Student Village. Anyone who has stayed in any of these, any information would be much appreciated such as distance from lecture theater's , price of accommodation, other expenses and your general experience. Thanks.

Hi there! Hannah from the Housing team here!

My advice would be to check out your budget first and see what accommodation fits your budget. Then the choice is yours based on your lifestyle choices really!

Langstone is a nicely chilled out site, with the restaurant in the centre of the site. It's surrounded by the sports pitches for UoP and other playing fields too. It also overlooks Langstone Harbour so a very pretty part of the city ) It's linked by the free university bus service that the Uni provide, or you can cycle as well as most of the route to uni has dedicated cycle lanes too and should you go for a night out anywhere and need to get back, taxis are as cheap as chips here so you can easily get home! The part-catered option is 8 meals a week included in your rent price, so it's really good value. You can choose what meal you use your vouchers for and if you need to purchase more vouchers, you can easily do so e.g. if you're too busy to shop one week and need food!! The part-catered halls are all en-suite and you share a little kitchen with the others in your flat/floor so it's quite sociable too!

Rees & Burrell are by the seafront and are about a 5-7 minute bike ride to the main uni buildings, or a 10-15 minute walk (depending on how fast you walk!). Rees is all en-suite and overlooks the Southsea Common. Burrell is shared bathrooms and is just tucked behind Rees. The restaurant for these halls is located in Rees, so to get your meals if you live in Burrell, you just have to nip over to Rees. With the fully catered options here you get 14 meals a week included in the rent (note, you can't have a part-catered option here, sorry!). Burrell has a reputation for being a very sociable hall which I guess is related to the large shared kitchens you have in there so it will be quite good fun!!

If you need info on prices, please check out our website: www.port.ac.uk/accommodation

Hope this helps!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.