The Student Room Group

AS critical thinking

Help?! My exams in a few days and I'm still finding the questions where you have to e.g. "Explain two weaknesses in the support the reasoning gives to the conclusion". Any tips on how to actually spot the weakness and them explain them? And in this sort of question, should I be using quotes etc? (Usually 4-6 marks)

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Anonymousgirl13
Help?! My exams in a few days and I'm still finding the questions where you have to e.g. "Explain two weaknesses in the support the reasoning gives to the conclusion". Any tips on how to actually spot the weakness and them explain them? And in this sort of question, should I be using quotes etc? (Usually 4-6 marks)

I just saw this and happen to be doing critical thinking as well :smile:. In this question you will want to use quotes so the examiner knows what part of the argument your talking about unless it's a general point.

What you should do to tackle these is look at the main conclusion and look at that and decide what parts of the argument contradict it or provide irrelevant information, an example might be

More children are in prison because their parents are teaching them badly
and maybe the argument gives a piece of evidence saying that more people are being put in prison that doesn't support the conclusion because it is about all people not just children. Or there might be a contradiction such as the argument saying Children are being sent to schools who don't teach them morales. This doesn't support the main conclusion because it talks about schools not parents. It's things like that the key thing is they don't support the main conclusion

Quick Reply

Latest