The Student Room Group

I'm thinking of Applying to Cambridge and...

I was wondering do you think this is a good idea? Do two GCSE's one in Maths and one in Science. I have GCSE's already but they are just C's and a B. Then do A levels.

Or do you think I should do as many GCSE's as possible and then do A levels?

I'm a mature student and I don't think Cambridge really look at GCSE's.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by N-R-G
I was wondering do you think this is a good idea? Do two GCSE's one in Maths and one in Science. I have GCSE's already but they are just C's and a B. Then do A levels.

Or do you think I should do as many GCSE's as possible and then do A levels?

I'm a mature student and I don't think Cambridge really look at GCSE's.

You should really ask in the Lucy Cavendish hosted thread for 21+ applicants.

And for which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
You should really ask in the Lucy Cavendish hosted thread for 21+ applicants.

And for which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no ones replied there in two days.

Art history.
Reply 3
Original post by N-R-G
no ones replied there in two days.

Art history.

I think the AT has been away for a week or so. They are extremely helpful and I'm sure they'll be back in due course.

What A-Levels do you have and when did you complete them?

http://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/applying/entrance-requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I dont have any A levels yet I'm going to do GCSE's first and then three A levels and one AS.

My query is whether or not two GCSE's is enough or should I do more?
Reply 5
Thanks for the link it doesnt say anything about GCSE's though.
Reply 6
Original post by N-R-G
Thanks for the link it doesnt say anything about GCSE's though.

They aren't important.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

PS. Please quote me otherwise I won't get notified if you reply. Tks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
They aren't important.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

PS. Please quote me otherwise I won't get notified if you reply. Tks.

I thought that to be the case as far as it goes with GCSE & A levels Tks for the link it has reassured me. I suppose not being familiar with the Cambridge site led me here anyway Tks.
Reply 8
Original post by N-R-G
I thought that to be the case as far as it goes with GCSE & A levels Tks for the link it has reassured me. I suppose not being familiar with the Cambridge site led me here anyway Tks.

Have you thought about doing an AccessHE diploma instead of A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
Have you thought about doing an AccessHE diploma instead of A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The nearest college is about an hour and a half away and doesn't do an access course. I like the idea of doing A-levels as I can get a broad understanding before doing a degree.
Reply 10
Original post by N-R-G
The nearest college is about an hour and a half away and doesn't do an access course. I like the idea of doing A-levels as I can get a broad understanding before doing a degree.

Ah ok. I was just thinking the AccessHE would take a year instead of 2 years for A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
Ah ok. I was just thinking the AccessHE would take a year instead of 2 years for A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm commited to doing A levels I could do home study online and take the A levels in one year but I dont mind doing a couple of GCSE's first thus taking three years to complete my preliminary education before starting a degree.

Is there any particular advantage to doing it all in one year?
Reply 12
Original post by N-R-G
Well I'm commited to doing A levels I could do home study online and take the A levels in one year but I dont mind doing a couple of GCSE's first thus taking three years to complete my preliminary education before starting a degree.

Is there any particular advantage to doing it all in one year?

Nope. Just time...
If you're in no rush then great :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by jneill
Nope. Just time...
If you're in no rush then great :smile:

I'm in no rush, I need to do my GCSE's first so I can gain a basic knowledge of the subjects I'm doing then I'll be ready for A-levels and then a degree.

Thanks for the links I've been reading through them this morning and they've dispelled a lot of myths I had about Cambridge.

I'm trying not to build my hopes up about Cambridge and just see it as a useful goal to aim for in the hope it will encourage me to improve my grades.
Reply 14
@jneill I'm looking at the extenuating circumstances form and I have a serious illness that has affected me since I was a child. Do you think that as a mature student this still applies and if so should I ask my doctor to fill it out for me?
Reply 15
Original post by N-R-G
@jneill I'm looking at the extenuating circumstances form and I have a serious illness that has affected me since I was a child. Do you think that as a mature student this still applies and if so should I ask my doctor to fill it out for me?

Yep! When the time comes to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
maths ,economics history, eng lit,french ,spanish ,italian
as lev maths ,econonomics,history. eng lit sociology,italian
you choose
Reply 17
Original post by Lucasta
maths ,economics history, eng lit,french ,spanish ,italian
as lev maths ,econonomics,history. eng lit sociology,italian
you choose

What exactly are you trying to say?
there is a wide choice of subjects to be explored