The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

OU

Hello, so I have registered for the Certificate of Higher Education in Art & Humanities at OU (1 year) and I was wanting to ask a few questions;
1. Is a Cert.HE the same as an HNC? Like will a Brick Uni look at it the same way?
2. Can I use this qualification to get into an English Literature BA course at a brick uni?
3. Are the resources good for this course, does anyone know?

I am due to start in October and would appreciate any help! Thank you!
Reply 1
Veryyy off topic, but I love your name, Sour Wolf :biggrin:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Sim0ne
Veryyy off topic, but I love your name, Sour Wolf :biggrin:

Thank you! I love your name too! ^_^
Reply 3
Original post by Sour Wolf
Hello, so I have registered for the Certificate of Higher Education in Art & Humanities at OU (1 year) and I was wanting to ask a few questions;
1. Is a Cert.HE the same as an HNC? Like will a Brick Uni look at it the same way?
2. Can I use this qualification to get into an English Literature BA course at a brick uni?

Yes
It depends on the uni. You'll be able to go somewhere but some unis might not accept it.
Probably. OU materials are known to be good.
Reply 4
Yeah Cambridge university accept it so I guess all universities do do.
Reply 5
Original post by Juno
Yes
It depends on the uni. You'll be able to go somewhere but some unis might not accept it.
Probably. OU materials are known to be good.

Okay, thank you very much!
Reply 6
Original post by Thomb
Yeah Cambridge university accept it so I guess all universities do do.

Thanks for the help! :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks for the help! :smile:

GL :biggrin:!

1. It is the same level of study, yes
2. You must check with each university, don't assume they all will just because places like Cambridge do.
3. Not sure what you mean. You get sent the books you need and you have access to an online forum/tutor.

Make sure you don't study with the OU for more than one year, otherwise you won't get a full loan to do a BA at a brick university.
Reply 9
Original post by Snufkin
1. It is the same level of study, yes
2. You must check with each university, don't assume they all will just because places like Cambridge do.
3. Not sure what you mean. You get sent the books you need and you have access to an online forum/tutor.

Make sure you don't study with the OU for more than one year, otherwise you won't get a full loan to do a BA at a brick university.

Thank you! I have emailed a few universities and two have said that as long as I get 60 points at level 1 or above in a related subject i could gain entry.
I meant are the books, tutors and forums helpful but ive heard its different for each subject.

Thank you, I only plan on getting my Cert.HE then I'm hoping to go to Stirling or Strathclyde University!
Reply 10
Thank you! I have emailed a few universities and two have said that as long as I get 60 points at level 1 or above in a related subject i could gain entry.
I meant are the books, tutors and forums helpful but ive heard its different for each subject.

Thank you, I only plan on getting my Cert.HE then I'm hoping to go to Stirling or Strathclyde University!

There are different tutors for each area, so you might find your tutor is better or worse than others. Tutors have to be available to contact several hours a week, but obviously they will have other commitments and won't be available all the time. You might find your tutor works opposite hours to you so you can't really phone them, but they will answer to emails.

The quality of forums depends on the other students. If people post a lot they can be helpful. You can encourage this by posting lots yourself - if you ask questions, other people might be encouraged to.

The OU does take feedback into consideration. I took an economics course a few years ago, where many previous students had commented one part wasn't explained clearly. The OU had produced a supplementary leaflet on that bit (they will review courses every so often and reprint textbook editions bit obviously can't do that all the time). So if an area has been flagged previously the OU will try to improve it.
The University of Glasgow will let you into first year with one.

Quick Reply