The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Pheww... Spent the past two hours going through all 21 pages on this thread. Finally caught up lol

*Hi everyone*
Original post by dasu95
Did you choose AM or PWM? And do you know why PWM isn't part of GSAM? And if there are other significant differences? (Sorry for the firing of questions)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check GS website for these things
Original post by makrxx
Can anyone give a more in-depth explanation of Corporate Banking vs IBD in JPM? And what exactly does investor services do?

Corporate Banking is more about running the company - you run it by allocating and managing the finance of it. IB is less personal - you raise capital and help it in M&As
They're very similar though
Original post by makrxx
Can anyone give a more in-depth explanation of Corporate Banking vs IBD in JPM? And what exactly does investor services do?

Lending vs capital raising and m&a advisory, that's pretty much it. Corporate banking is business and commercial banking but to corporate clients, so product offerings are lines of credit, debt revolvers etc

Investor services is prime brokerage, back office services (trade clearance), financing for large trades, managing collateral, etc.. It's pretty much an outsourced operations and financing arm for institutional investors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Lending vs capital raising and m&a advisory, that's pretty much it. Corporate banking is business and commercial banking but to corporate clients, so product offerings are lines of credit, debt revolvers etc

Investor services is prime brokerage, back office services (trade clearance), financing for large trades, managing collateral, etc.. It's pretty much an outsourced operations and financing arm for institutional investors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

out of interest is treasury services also back office? know a mate at jpm doing it
Original post by sreddy17
out of interest is treasury services also back office? know a mate at jpm doing it

It's 'front office' as in revenue generating but provides back office services

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do any not require a cover letter (quicker to send off)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by apriori1234
Do any not require a cover letter (quicker to send off)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha, it is there to discourage lazy people from applying ))
(edited 7 years ago)
Guys just practicing my competency questions and recording my responses they are about two and a half minutes long sticking to the STAR method. Is this ok or is it way too long?
Original post by torres657
haha, it is there to discourage lazy people from applying ))

Understandably :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dasu95
Did you choose AM or PWM? And do you know why PWM isn't part of GSAM? And if there are other significant differences? (Sorry for the firing of questions)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Asset Management. Asset management and wealth management are two separate things. Asset management revolves more specifically around investment and portfolio management etc., whereas wealth management is specifically the management of, usually, an individuals money, providing investment advice, tax advice, pension advice, real estate advice, you name it.
Original post by olly_price
Asset Management. Asset management and wealth management are two separate things. Asset management revolves more specifically around investment and portfolio management etc., whereas wealth management is specifically the management of, usually, an individuals money, providing investment advice, tax advice, pension advice, real estate advice, you name it.

Nah, the main difference is one is institutional and the other is individual/family. There are investment teams within WM (specifically within the high net worth and ultra high net worth sub sections).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sreddy17
Guys just practicing my competency questions and recording my responses they are about two and a half minutes long sticking to the STAR method. Is this ok or is it way too long?

I personally would have thought that's way too long. I would try to stick to a minute per competency question.

Think how bored an interviewer would get listening to two and half minutes of you talking about times you have worked in a team...
Guys do anyone of you knows the SEO summer launchpad dates (approximately ? ) ?
Original post by Springweeker190
Guys do anyone of you knows the SEO summer launchpad dates (approximately ? ) ?

22-25th.

Is CS strong in markets?
Original post by makrxx
22-25th.

Is CS strong in markets?

Smaller market share than BBs but If I am not wrong they are strong in credit markets..
I just doubled checked and JP Morgan now has motivational question on for summer IBD. I guess I am stupid and missed it.
Reply 417
Original post by creamertnh
I just doubled checked and JP Morgan now has motivational question on for summer IBD. I guess I am stupid and missed it.

**** happens
Original post by creamertnh

its always had those 2 classic questions if that is what you're talking about....
shall i apply to be a Deloitte brand ambassador if they rejected my summer 2017 application

Quick Reply