Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mortgage for single 25 year old American, Tier 2 visa?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

Hey guys, I know TSR may not really be the forum to ask about mortgages but having finished my MSc last year many of my mates or even still current students I know have banded together and managed to buy flats in / around London, so wondering if this is possible...

So about my scenario...

I came originally to study in the UK my senior year of university from 2011-2012 on a Tier 4 student visa in London. After that period, I went back home to the US, worked for a year, and came back to London on another Tier 4 to complete an MSc in 2013. Shortly end of my MSC in 2014, I was offered a job and Tier 2 general visa and a starting salary of £49,000. I have been working in this company full time since December 2014. my Tier 2 visa is 3 years long, which means I have around 2 years left on it. If I'm still working for the same company near the end of expiration (which I intend to) it will renew again for another 3, and after the 5 year mark I will apply for ILR (I know my time as a student does not contribute to ILR). I have a UK residence permit under my visa but not a citizenship / permanent residency.

I would really like to buy a flat in London with a max budget of £250-260k (yes, it is possible in London, it will have to be a fixer upper ) However, I am not sure if a US citizen can even get a mortgage, and in general, I am very new to the whole mortgage process! I am in a position to put down £40,000 on a £250k property, but I was turned down by First Direct for a MIP unless I had an LTV of 75%, which I don't. So I guess my main questions are:

1. Is it even possible for a US citizen to get a mortgage in my circumstances? If so, are there any mortgage providers in banks who have a higher acceptance rate for US nationals / specialize in mortgages for US citizens?

2. Are interest rates for US citizens any worse off than EU/UK nationals?

3. Does anyone have any real life / anecdotal evidence of US citizens being able to get mortgages in the UK?

Thanks very much in advance!

I think the short answer to the question you have is to seek a mortgage advisor.

Good luck!

(Original post by adibear)
    Did you Google 'mortgage lenders for non uk nationals'? That got a pretty comprehensive answer in about 10 seconds
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.