The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A Breadth of Physics (24th May 2016) Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by julesaquilina
I mentioned about the area being pi r^2 but then i crossed it outtttt, and i spoke about weighing the cylinder on a balance and multiplying by 9.81 for the force

Couldnt you you use a newton meter? To measure the weight of the cylinder

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are you supposed to get the density of the cylinder? I got really confused, not knowing which mass to use where, and not knowing the volume
I did exactly the same as you and got 6.75, and had no idea why it didnt match any of the answers, so ended up putting 12mW fml
Original post by Fish40

Posted from TSR Mobile

Possibly, i also spoke about the area of the table but i think i shouldnt have
Original post by Fish40

Posted from TSR Mobile

I considered it, but thought it was a bit cheeky considering the diagram in the next question :P
How was it the momentum time graph? Fairly sure it was the accerleration time graph, since only acceleration could be zero out of the four if the ball was moving.
Original post by yelash
How are you supposed to get the density of the cylinder? I got really confused, not knowing which mass to use where, and not knowing the volume

I used the weight of the cylinder/9.81=mass of the cyclinder

then I took the difference between the two newton meter readings = the upthrust on the cylider = Apgh

deduced h from that. Used H and A to find the volume

Mass/Volume = density.

Anyone else do it like this? answer I got was around 750
yeh
Original post by sddsfsdafs
How was it the momentum time graph? Fairly sure it was the accerleration time graph, since only acceleration could be zero out of the four if the ball was moving.[/QUOTIf it was momentum the momentum would not decrease at all so it must be acceperation as F=ma so they are identicall and directly proportional
Is anyone going to do an unofficial mark scheme?

Also what do you think the grade boundaries will be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by viktorh

then I took the difference between the two newton meter readings = the upthrust on the cylider = Apgh

Mass/Volume = density.

I did the first 2 steps what you said and half of the 3rd step, do you think I can get a mark or 2?
On the whole, how did everyone find it?
Original post by viktorh

Mass/Volume = density.

ah yeah makes sense. Exam stress got to me :frown:
i made a error whilst working out the velocity of the atom. Like i forgot to put negative velocity because it changed direction. I believe it was 4 marks how many would i loose considering everything else was consistent?
Pretty sure it was momentum time graph because the gradient was Ft, which is change in momentum(impulse), so a momentum time graph would have the same gradient.
what did you guys get for the drift velocity of the electrons I got some crazy answer of 10^7 but couldn't see where I went wrong?
I got the same mizzeeboy

Quick Reply

Latest