The Student Room Group

Biology A Level?

Would I be at a disadvantage to do it as I do Dual Science GCSE? I'm just wondering because I got a high A* in a Biology past paper and I'm trying to expand my A Level options just in case I decide to change at any point. Thanks
Do you even do A level biology? If not, not sure how you can answer OP's question.

OP - no, you wouldn't be at any disadvantage. I'm doing A2 biology now; whilst I did do triple science, there's many in my class who only did dual science and cope just fine. I didn't come across any overlap with GCSE B3 and AS/A2 (AQA exam board for a level and edexcel for GCSE.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
Do you even do A level biology? If not, not sure how you can answer OP's question.

OP - no, you wouldn't be at any disadvantage. I'm doing A2 biology now; whilst I did do triple science, there's many in my class who only did dual science and cope just fine. I didn't come across any overlap with GCSE B3 and AS/A2 (AQA exam board for a level and edexcel for GCSE.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, thanks :tongue:

Is Biology a good A Level, may I ask? If I took it it would be in conjunction with History, French, and Spanish, would it go together well with those?
Original post by george_c00per
Cool, thanks :tongue:

Is Biology a good A Level, may I ask? If I took it it would be in conjunction with History, French, and Spanish, would it go together well with those?

It's a facilitating subject, so yes. It wouldn't necessarily go with your other subject choices but it does show universities you have a range of skills as each subject requires different skills. It's definitely a difficult subject - but it depends what you want to do after a levels.
Original post by Sacred Ground
It's a facilitating subject, so yes. It wouldn't necessarily go with your other subject choices but it does show universities you have a range of skills as each subject requires different skills. It's definitely a difficult subject - but it depends what you want to do after a levels.

It would either be to do with Human & Political Science or Languages, I was wondering that it maybe would act like a foundation to language/politics as it kind of delves into the reasons of the human bodies and why we do such things. A Level Biology might not cover this though, and yes, it would show that I have a large variety of skills instead.:smile:
Original post by george_c00per
It would either be to do with Human & Political Science or Languages, I was wondering that it maybe would act like a foundation to language/politics as it kind of delves into the reasons of the human bodies and why we do such things. A Level Biology might not cover this though, and yes, it would show that I have a large variety of skills instead.:smile:

It doesn't really delve into evolution as such, if that's what you're implying, it's a lot more intricate such as how muscles contract, immunity etc. The closes to evolution you'll do at A level is natural selection, but that's still only around 2 paragraphs long of information you have to know.

Why we, as humans behave in the way we do, is a lot more evident in psychology a level. At AS you do social, cognitive, biological, learning and psychodynamic explanations for behaviour. I did geography, biology, chemistry and psychology at AS but dropped psychology - it's an underrated subject because I found it the most difficult!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest