The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

subletting uni accomodation?

I got an offer from the uni for an ensuite and I've signed the contract but now I can't afford it anymore and I want a cheaper shared flat.. is it Ok to sublet it on airbnb? How do I get rid of it?
Reply 1
Talk to the uni and tell them you don't want it any more - they often struggle to find enough space for everyone so it should be very easy for them to find someone else to take your place, in which case they should let you off the contract you signed. Subletting a room in halls on airbnb is a complete no-go in my opinion, it's not fair on anyone else living there and they could very rightly kick up a fuss to the uni, which could leave you in a situation where you're paying for 2 places to live. Just be open about your situation and everything should work out fine :smile:

Have you figured out where you're going to live or how you're going to find somewhere cheaper to live? If you give up your accommodation with the uni I doubt they'll give you the chance to reapply, so make sure you're certain before doing anything drastic. Definitely talk to them asap though!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by zarpy
I got an offer from the uni for an ensuite and I've signed the contract but now I can't afford it anymore and I want a cheaper shared flat.. is it Ok to sublet it on airbnb? How do I get rid of it?

You will not be able to sublet you flat- if you look at your contract that will be clear - In any case it would be completely unfair on your flatmates - would you want to be living in a flt where random strangers turned up night after night? It would also be impractical- are you going to spend your first year cleaning the flat/changing the sheets/ arranging for keys to be collected ?

Talk to accommodation and explain your situation and they will probably release you from the contract. But bare in mind a shared flat won't be that cheap- Edinburgh is quite expensive and your contract will probably be all year round so you will be paying for a flat in the summer for 3 to 4 months that you will not be living in and you also have to pay bills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending