Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Current English Lit student applying for MSc

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm currently a first year English student, but my interests have changed slightly since starting my degree. If I wanted to apply for a a masters in a science based subject, would my application be considered, or is this generally unheard of?

Not sure whether to radically change my degree now while I can, or to wait until I graduate before attempting to change paths.

If you are sure, then I would change now whilst you can get funding. You spend more time studying and gaining knowledge on a first degree obviously.

Yes, you can be a science-based masters even with an English undergrad, within reason - I'm proof in point, as I'll be starting a MSc this year even though my BA was in English Lit. (I'll be studying a social science, though, which draws on a lot of my transferrable skills - I doubt I could have got onto, say, a biochemistry course.)

However, if you're still only in your first year, I'd suggest considering changing now - better to 'waste' one year than three if you already know there's something else you'd rather be studying, and you'll probably have an easier time changing now than later on.

You could think of Science Communication at Imperial, or History and Philosophy of Science, or Science and Technology Studies at UCL and go on to write on technological innovation and medicine and so much..

Have a look at the MSc Communication and Entrepreneurship at Nottingham.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.