Squaring an equation HELP! AS maths

right so I have this equation

x + 15 = 16x1/2

How would I solve this.
i can square it.
So I squared it and got
x2 + 225 = 256x
and then rearranged to solve. But this is incorrect
Instead they put brackets around each side. Is this just a general rule for squaring an equation?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Someboady
right so I have this equation

x + 15 = 16x1/2

How would I solve this.
i can square it.
So I squared it and got
x2 + 225 = 256x
and then rearranged to solve. But this is incorrect
Instead they put brackets around each side. Is this just a general rule for squaring an equation?!

if you square both sides you would get
(x+15)^2=16

expanding x+15 should give you x^2+30x+225

theres your mistake buddy
Reply 2
Original post by imran_
if you square both sides you would get
(x+15)^2=16

expanding x+15 should give you x^2+30x+225

theres your mistake buddy

Yep but how do I avoid making the mistake again, is this just a general rule, that you don't square each term but instead you square each part of the equation i.e. each part seperated by the equal sign
Reply 3
Yep but how do I avoid making the mistake again, is this just a general rule, that you don't square each term but instead you square each part of the equation i.e. each part seperated by the equal sign

Yes, squaring an equation means you multiply the whole LHS by itself and the same for the RHS of the equation.
Reply 4

yeah you square each part as a separately.
Have a go at more solomon questions on these topics until you become more familiar with them, its just a matter of practise

Quick Reply

Latest