Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Moving into uni at 23????!!!

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hello everybody! I've posted on here before about an access course I was going to apply for.. 3 months later I have my place for September and I couldn't be happier! I'm going to be studying social work, I was surprised by how the interview was heavily based upon 'what I would be doing next' after the access course. I knew I wanted to go to uni, I was just going to go to a local uni.. Having thought about it though now I would love to go further afield.. And live at a uni, I'm 21 now but by the time I would have finished the access course I'll be 22 (23 in the november) is this too old to be moving into uni? Or am I being paranoid? Has anyone lived with anyone older? Or are you older 'mature student' living at uni? I would just like information as I have no idea about the support or help I'll get? Basically id just like some info on mature students living at uni, thanks in advance :-)

You will be fine. Dont forget there will eb thousands of post grads. No you arent too old or even mature. Contact your chosen uni and see what support they have for mature students. Obviously you will have a bit less in common with an 18 year old, but there should be plenty of oler people as well. Your chosen course cna give you an idea on the age ranges.

I didn't go to college or uni straight out of school and instead worked for 10 years. I did the access course at college after being made redundant when the place I worked closed down and then went on to uni when I was 28. I'm 30 now and just about to finish 2nd year. It has honestly been the best decision I've ever made in my life!

You may find due to your subject choice that there's probably gonna be people on your course a lot older than you, one of my flatmates is doing social work and he said majority of his course are 40+. And if you're concerned about living with younger people you could request to be housed with other mature students. I did this and was still the oldest by about 5 years! But everyone I lived with in halls during first year are great and we are all still friends now even though we've moved out of halls.

I would also really recommend to move away, it's easy to stay at home and be comfortable but you really only challenge yourself when you take yourself away from that comfort zone. It's great living on campus in first year if you have that option as its so easy to get involved and make loads of new pals. You shouldn't ever get lonely as there's usually someone hanging around to chat to.

Honestly I can't recommend it enough, just embrace every situation and think about the benefits you've got from being just that little bit older and wiser about life in general.

Hope it all goes well for you, good luck!

PS sorry its such an essay!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.