The Student Room Group

Coursework marked too low?

Hi all,

I'm currently taking the CiDA level 2 qualifications for my IT (can't remember exactly which project it is). The course involves a 2 and 1/2 hour exam followed by a coursework portfolio which demonstrates your skills to produce different products and evaluate them. I first sat an exam in it in December of 2014 and got a U, then resat in the summer of 2015 and got a B. I was quite happy with the result.

A third set of resits was being done last week. I had originally been re-entered for this exam but decided it was not good for my emotionally to do this, so I spoke with the head of IT who argued with me for a 10min period how I was a top student and could cope with this, and missing my English and Maths lessons would not affect whether I got A*s in these subjects or not. Bearing in mind, I'm not an A* pupil in either of these but rather Bs-As. He then went to go on a ramble at me about why I should go to one university and not this other uni I had in mind as well as rambling on about some other irrelevant things. We finished this conversation off with me saying I'll think about it. There's some background information on the teacher - he likes to tell C grade pupils they get A*s, as well as having unnecessary conversations when I'd rather be in my Maths lesson learning.

He always told me my coursework was at an excellent standard, and I knew I needed 31/36 to get an A grade in IT which I wanted and planned for and had pretty much expected to get. He marked it over the weekend and told me I had only got 26/36.

What I'm starting to wonder is whether the argument I had with him recently has made him choose to mark me down, especially since my current IT teacher before she went onto maternity told me I had great coursework. Is there a way for me to ask the moderation board to mark mine officially so that I can get an unbiased mark? Or do I need to make a complaint to someone higher up in the school about my mark?
Original post by xEmilyxx
Hi all,

I'm currently taking the CiDA level 2 qualifications for my IT (can't remember exactly which project it is). The course involves a 2 and 1/2 hour exam followed by a coursework portfolio which demonstrates your skills to produce different products and evaluate them. I first sat an exam in it in December of 2014 and got a U, then resat in the summer of 2015 and got a B. I was quite happy with the result.

A third set of resits was being done last week. I had originally been re-entered for this exam but decided it was not good for my emotionally to do this, so I spoke with the head of IT who argued with me for a 10min period how I was a top student and could cope with this, and missing my English and Maths lessons would not affect whether I got A*s in these subjects or not. Bearing in mind, I'm not an A* pupil in either of these but rather Bs-As. He then went to go on a ramble at me about why I should go to one university and not this other uni I had in mind as well as rambling on about some other irrelevant things. We finished this conversation off with me saying I'll think about it. There's some background information on the teacher - he likes to tell C grade pupils they get A*s, as well as having unnecessary conversations when I'd rather be in my Maths lesson learning.

He always told me my coursework was at an excellent standard, and I knew I needed 31/36 to get an A grade in IT which I wanted and planned for and had pretty much expected to get. He marked it over the weekend and told me I had only got 26/36.

What I'm starting to wonder is whether the argument I had with him recently has made him choose to mark me down, especially since my current IT teacher before she went onto maternity told me I had great coursework. Is there a way for me to ask the moderation board to mark mine officially so that I can get an unbiased mark? Or do I need to make a complaint to someone higher up in the school about my mark?

You'd need to talk to your head of ICT or maybe your head of year :h:

Quick Reply

Latest