Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Thinking of quitting my admin job

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

should i?

i hate it. it's cafe and admin and it's so boring. i'm moving out to a flat soon away from my parents and it's a no dss flat. can they boot me out if i stop working? I have 11,000 in my current account so won't be living off benefits right now.

i have autism and a severe and enduring mental illness and it's a cafe and admin job with a charity "helping" people like me into work. they're trying to get me into another workplace for admin after this.

i feel confused. although i was top of my high school for grades, i'm 24 and earn less than everyone else from school and i'm pretty sure i'm undateable, though not sure i want a girlfriend. i don't see the point in going down this path of dead-end admin jobs. it won't better my life in any real way. i might have a few more pounds a week or a bit more in savings but so what?

Where on earth did you get eleven grand from?

(Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Where on earth did you get eleven grand from?
    grandparents gave me it when i was young. I actually have £30,000 from grandparents/great aunt in total. Stand to get a bit more from parents when they die as they're doctors.

I think its best to have some sort of plan before you leave work, although having proof of savings might make a landlord more lenient (but yes there's a risk they'll decide that not having a job is too risky for them) you wont be eligible for housing benefit or council tax benefit and possibly not jsa or esa with 11 grand so depending on where you live that could run out in a year possibly slightly longer (council tax can be 1.5k a year on it's own and then there's bill and rent etc) .
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.