The Student Room Group

Edexcel economics unit 1 and 2 retakes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ACTT
Technological improvement Lowers cost of production for instant coffee firms, increases producer surplus

Exactly what I put and then I went on to show an increase in producer surplus via a diagram.
Reply 41
the values for ped was -1.67
Original post by A-LevelEconomist
But revenue increased from £100,000 to 180,000.

Originally at the price or £500, 200 was quantity demanded =£100,000

The new price of £600, 300 was the quantity demanded, =180,000

200 * 600 = 120000
300 * 500 = 150000

New revenue = 120000-150000 = -3000
Original post by epic within
200 * 600 = 120000
300 * 500 = 150000

New revenue = 150000-120000 = -3000

Yes so 30,000 was lost. It makes sense now.. I was rushing and read he bloody demand figures wrong.
What did everyone put for the buffer stock question?
What did everyone put for the market of steel. I got confused and said it would increase as more firms will join the market as iron ore prices have fallen so this means people who produce steel can buy it for a cheaper price and increase profits. I drew a supply curve shifting to the right as more firms join the market and produce steel. However i think i am wrong.
What did everyone put for the buffer stock question?

agency sell stock from its stockpile
Original post by Hasan1996k
What did everyone put for the market of steel. I got confused and said it would increase as more firms will join the market as iron ore prices have fallen so this means people who produce steel can buy it for a cheaper price and increase profits. I drew a supply curve shifting to the right as more firms join the market and produce steel. However i think i am wrong.

As iron ore is a raw material to produce steel if the price of iron ore went down (which it did) then the costs of producing steel would fall. This increases supply of steel.
agency sell stock from its stockpile

Yea because 2016 was a bad harvest.
Reply 49

oi hasan what you saying
Original post by polop
oi hasan what you saying

I think if hassan drew the supply curve increasing then he would get the 4 marks for the diagram. But I'm confused about the other things he has mentioned.
Reply 51
Original post by emilia_claire
From what I can remember, I think it said a successful advertising campaign for tea so it would cause a decrease in demand for coffee. I think I put the increase in technology for coffee production as from the diagram I drew, the surplus did look a bit bigger but it could be wrong.

I put the technology one also.
I think if hassan drew the supply curve increasing then he would get the 4 marks for the diagram. But I'm confused about the other things he has mentioned.

I shifted the demand curve for some reason :frown:
Original post by amg96
Guys, I put down A because of the successful advertising campaign.

Look at the image - an increase in supply is plausible, but the producer surplus remained the same.

ucer-surplus-clip-image003.gif

That was about tea though not coffee...
Reply 54
Original post by amg96

Look at the image - an increase in supply is plausible, but the producer surplus remained the same.

That is wrong. The advertising was about tea. Question is about Cofee.
Original post by amg96

but a successful advertising campaign is going to increase demand for tea and reduce demand for coffee because they are substitute goods and so that would reduce producer surplus
but a successful advertising campaign is going to increase demand for tea and reduce demand for coffee because they are substitute goods and so that would reduce producer surplus

Wasn't the Q about what will increase producer surplus?
Reply 57

I remember putting something to do with increase firms but not sure (due to the incentive)
I shifted the demand curve for some reason :frown:

I was literally about to do that but then read the question again. Hopefully you didn't loose too many marks?
Original post by BBajwa
It could actually be A. I put B but if demand for tea goes up. Demand for cofee will go down causing a lower price causing lower producer surplus. Thats quite complicated though. B seemed obvious.

question asked what increased producer surplus for coffee, technology improvements would reduce costs of productions and shift S curve to the right increasing producer surplus, option A reduces it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending