The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Maths Competition Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Would you say that the Senior Mentoring scheme is bmo1 level or higher? It seems more difficult that BMO and the Intermediate mentoring scheme seems at a slightly lower level than bmp problems
Original post by ben167
Would you say that the Senior Mentoring scheme is bmo1 level or higher? It seems more difficult that BMO and the Intermediate mentoring scheme seems at a slightly lower level than bmp problems

Higher then bmo level i think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
So about BMO2?
Original post by ben167
So about BMO2?

The normal mentoring sheets would be around bmo2 or just lower. Advanced sheets would be above bmo2 and below imo level imho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ben167

Quick note, SMS next year will become less olympiady and more school syllabus based with open questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Renzhi10122
Quick note, SMS next year will become less olympiady and more school syllabus based with open questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How come?
Also how have the NST's gone? I see that he was added to the 9 at the camp!
Last paper tmmrw right? gd luck1
Reply 26
Quick question, when we do inequalities why and when can we assume stuff like x + y + z =1 if its not in the question. Ive seen it a few times in some problems....
Original post by 11234
Quick question, when we do inequalities why and when can we assume stuff like x + y + z =1 if its not in the question. Ive seen it a few times in some problems....

It is when inequalities are homogenous. Ie a mapping if x->kx leaves it unchanged and various other things like xyz=1 or whatever.
Here is some discussion that may help,
also if you have different degrees on either side and you have a set condition of a+b+c=1 or something it may be nice to make everything same degree (multiplying one side by the contraint cubed for degree 3 or something like that) which i was shown how to do in a BMO2 problem 3 of this paper https://bmos.ukmt.org.uk/home/bmo2-1999.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by physicsmaths
It is when inequalities are homogenous. Ie a mapping if x->kx leaves it unchanged and various other things like xyz=1 or whatever.
Here is some discussion that may help,
also if you have different degrees on either side and you have a set condition of a+b+c=1 or something it may be nice to make everything same degree (multiplying one side by the contraint cubed for degree 3 or something like that) which i was shown how to do in a BMO2 problem 3 of this paper https://bmos.ukmt.org.uk/home/bmo2-1999.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you reckon the summer holidays would be enough to get into bmo2. atm i can do some bmo1
Original post by 11234
Would you reckon the summer holidays would be enough to get into bmo2. atm i can do some bmo1

Yeh for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How come?
Also how have the NST's gone? I see that he was added to the 9 at the camp!
Last paper tmmrw right? gd luck1

I guess you know how they went by now, but yeah, not hugely sad rn, I tried my best and it didn't quite work out.
I'm not really sure, something to do with how they want it to be more applicable to school maths and to reach larger audiences. Plus a change in who's in charge of it.
I guess you know how they went by now, but yeah, not hugely sad rn, I tried my best and it didn't quite work out.
I'm not really sure, something to do with how they want it to be more applicable to school maths and to reach larger audiences. Plus a change in who's in charge of it.

You did great man! You started step stuff now?
Well geoff did say it is probably the strongest he has ever seen the team mesning you probably would have made it any other year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Are we allowed to discuss any BMO questions
What level are these maths problems at ? I do Scottish higher maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
How come there are less inequalities in BMO now? I miss them kinda...
Original post by 11234
Are we allowed to discuss any BMO questions

Definitely. What problem do you want to discuss?
You did great man! You started step stuff now?
Well geoff did say it is probably the strongest he has ever seen the team mesning you probably would have made it any other year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: Yeah, he said that they would take the 6 top scores.
And nope :smile: Will start sometime soon
Original post by RossB1702
What level are these maths problems at ? I do Scottish higher maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well BMO1, BMO2, Balkan and IMO are designed for year 12 and 13 (16-18 years old) however many people that are younger attempt the papers.

The senior section for maths competitions in England goes:

SMC - BMO1 - BMO2- Balkan + Romanian Masters - IMO

(In difficulty)
Original post by 11234
How come there are less inequalities in BMO now? I miss them kinda...

Because Schurhead's kills them all
Because Schurhead's kills them all

Lol. inequalities are so easy haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest