Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

English Literature WJEC help

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I am doing my first literature exam next monday (Of Mice and Men and Poetry) and was wondering if anyone had any tips, advice for answering these questions.. Eg: How do I structure answers, how long should they be, what do i need to do to get an A*. Thanks

Heya, I have the same exam this upcoming Monday. I found this site (http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/19199.pdf) great for exemplar answers. It is written by the exam board so they are all written to the specification and mark scheme. Hope this helps

Yes it does thank you

Basically you want to always bring things back to the author's intentions: what is the author trying to do with character x or theme y or whatever. A "PEE" method works very well to get your points across, analyse effectively and hit the assessment objectives. Stands for point,evidence,explain. Make a point, expressing it in simple/overarching terms, put in a quote to support it, then analyse this quote and bring it back to the question/the author's intentions. I dunno if the syllabus has changed, but you need to know which assessment objectives are required in each question. If context is required, you don't wanna go to in depth, just wrap it up with your discussion of how characters/themes are utilised, for instance how Steinbeck is not only showing loneliness but particularly showing it during the Depression era when many men had to go around on their own from place to place just to maintain some semblance of a living. If comparisons are required, make them "illuminating", make new points by comparing and contrasting the poems.
    This is a bit scatterbrained but it's the essence of what I did. I got full UMS with WJEC English Lit GCSE
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2016
TSR Support Team
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.