The Student Room Group

Vegan for 15 years AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Erebor

EDIT : I have lived in Brighton, Edinburgh, Norwich and Vienna if anyone wants specific tips!

Thanks for being cruelty free! :biggrin:
Vegeterian for four years and Vegan for a little over 6 weeks now and feeling great :biggrin:

Tips on going out to eat with friends? I've been avoiding it for a little now wanting to avoid the awkwardness of me just sitting there and not being able to eat anything. I feel bad asking them to accommodate for me by going somewhere that had non-vegan and vegan meals.
Original post by Erebor
No, that's not me in the avatar.

You know you really shouldn't cathorsefish on here. You really should be ashamed of yourself. :naughty:

Spoiler

Reply 22
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
You've probably told more people you're a vegan than chickens slaughtered this year.

Ye ye I know the joke. All the vegans I know go to extreme lengths to avoid telling anyone or explaining how it works, it's so awkward. I only made this thread for people who want to get into it but think it's tough or they'll be stuck eating salad forever when that couldn't be further from the truth.
Original post by Erebor
No, that's not me in the avatar.

Now the truth comes out. You're not a real horse, you're a CATFISH!

Good job being vegan, anyway. I've been vegetarian for 19 years and counting.
Reply 24
Original post by XOR_
Okay a question, what's your main source of protein?

I eat a bunch of stuff that has plenty of protein, my diet varies. And most people overestimate how much protein we need.

http://www.peta.org/living/food/much-protein-need/

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me, “But where do you get your protein?” I might have enough money to buy a lifetime supply of tofu.

Almonds15%
Barley14%
Broccoli (raw)33%
Buckwheat15%
Hard red wheat15%
Kidney beans (raw)58%
Lentils (raw)34%
Mushrooms (raw)56%
Mustard greens (raw)41%
Peanuts18%
Pumpkin seeds 18%
Soybeans (raw) 35%
Spinach (raw) 50%
Tomatoes 19%
Wild rice 16%
Watercress (raw) 84%

And on top of this you have the humangous range of specific vegan products that are available everywhere today, even in mainstream supermarkets .
Original post by Erebor
I eat a bunch of stuff that has plenty of protein, my diet varies. And most people overestimate how much protein we need.

http://www.peta.org/living/food/much-protein-need/

Almonds15%
Barley14%
Broccoli (raw)33%
Buckwheat15%
Hard red wheat15%
Kidney beans (raw)58%
Lentils (raw)34%
Mushrooms (raw)56%
Mustard greens (raw)41%
Peanuts18%
Pumpkin seeds 18%
Soybeans (raw) 35%
Spinach (raw) 50%
Tomatoes 19%
Wild rice 16%
Watercress (raw) 84%

And on top of this you have the humangous range of specific vegan products that are available everywhere today, even in mainstream supermarkets .

Ah okay, I ask because I attempted to cut meat out of my diet a few years ago but couldn't find a way of getting 200+ protein (bodybuilding) without having soy / chugging milk.
Reply 26
Original post by Jalouise
Thanks for being cruelty free! :biggrin:
Vegeterian for four years and Vegan for a little over 6 weeks now and feeling great :biggrin:

Tips on going out to eat with friends? I've been avoiding it for a little now wanting to avoid the awkwardness of me just sitting there and not being able to eat anything. I feel bad asking them to accommodate for me by going somewhere that had non-vegan and vegan meals.

My friends and everyone I've gone out with have been very accommodating. Btw a lot of places now have vegan options in the UK, even big chains like wetherspoon, pizza express, subway, pizza hut etc. This is a good link for mainstream stuff:

http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/menu-vegan-options-chain-restaurants/

And of course you should also have some local all veggie/vegan places. Where do you live and what kind of places do you go to?
I'm considering going vegan!

So how hard is it to maintain a vegan diet? I'm a vegetarian so I can go without meat.. When you went vegan did you see any health benefits?
Reply 28
Original post by XOR_
Ah okay, I ask because I attempted to cut meat out of my diet a few years ago but couldn't find a way of getting 200+ protein (bodybuilding) without having soy / chugging milk.

A vegan guy from Norwich won MR. UNIVERSE lat year and I know quite a few vegan bb'ers and strongmen. Have you tried asking on the bb forums, the main ones or the specific ones (like veganfitness.net) ? There's plenty of info around. There's plenty of vegan bb youtubers as well.
Reply 29
Are you HCLF? & got any tips for cutting out/reducing oil and salt when cooking??
Have you ever eaten meat or animal products? If so was it hard at first?
Reply 31
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I'm considering going vegan!

So how hard is it to maintain a vegan diet? I'm a vegetarian so I can go without meat.. When you went vegan did you see any health benefits?

I was already healthy, I went vegan for moral reasons. Plus I'd been veggie for years before that and not a huge meat eater in my carnivorous days. But almost every person I know (family, friends, people I've met online etc) has noticed a huge improvement after they went vegan, especially if they went straight from being big meat eaters. The few that felt worse didn't know what exactly they should eat it and how to balance it, just like with any healthy diet. Back when I started it was kind of a pain if you were into meat/dairy because everything was so bland but these days with all the stuff available you won't be missing out on anything in terms of taste, flavour, texture etc.

There are some really good vids on yt with people blind tasting new vegan stuff and you wouldn't believe how many times they get it wrong. Some of the ''alternative'' stuff (vegan meat, cheese, fish etc) out there is really awful but a lot is just oh-mazing, you just need to find the ones you like:h:
Reply 32
Original post by fannehh
Are you HCLF? & got any tips for cutting out/reducing oil and salt when cooking??

I'm not HCLF. You could use more water with the oil to spread it out and use more spice and stuff instead of salt. That's the wife says anyway.
Reply 33
Original post by niv1234
Have you ever eaten meat or animal products? If so was it hard at first?

Yea I used to eat meat/dairy and no, it wasn't hard giving it up.

Quick Reply

Latest