The Student Room Group

Student Finance Help

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for student finance for the academic year 2016/2017, and have so far completed my own information, and my mother's financial information. However, I'm having real trouble with my father's information. Because he has previously applied to Student Finance (back in around 1997, when I was born) as he was going through a career change, obviously he needed some sort of loan to cover the costs of his education. My mother didn't go to university, so it wasn't an issue. However, it is now hindering my from progressing any further with my application, and I really need some advice as to what to do.

The problem comes when I try and create my father an account - as he already has one, when I enter his information to create a new account, it recognises that the information is on file for him already (his National Insurance number, etc.), and so asks him to recall his information. Bearing in mind that this was quite a while ago (1997) and he probably never assumed he would need to remember this information 19 years later, he cannot remember his log in information. When we try and recover the account by entering some more information relevant to him, an 'unexpected error' comes through, and it asks us to contact the service further by phone. The problem there is, I already have - twice. Once myself, and once my father. They said they would email a link to sort something out, and that it would take five minutes to send - it never arrived, and its now two and a half days later. I really don't know what to do - I'm approaching the deadline for applications, and I don't want it to be late, but I cant seem to get anywhere with student finance as I can barely get into contact with them.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you:u:
Original post by mk_31
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for student finance for the academic year 2016/2017, and have so far completed my own information, and my mother's financial information. However, I'm having real trouble with my father's information. Because he has previously applied to Student Finance (back in around 1997, when I was born) as he was going through a career change, obviously he needed some sort of loan to cover the costs of his education. My mother didn't go to university, so it wasn't an issue. However, it is now hindering my from progressing any further with my application, and I really need some advice as to what to do.

The problem comes when I try and create my father an account - as he already has one, when I enter his information to create a new account, it recognises that the information is on file for him already (his National Insurance number, etc.), and so asks him to recall his information. Bearing in mind that this was quite a while ago (1997) and he probably never assumed he would need to remember this information 19 years later, he cannot remember his log in information. When we try and recover the account by entering some more information relevant to him, an 'unexpected error' comes through, and it asks us to contact the service further by phone. The problem there is, I already have - twice. Once myself, and once my father. They said they would email a link to sort something out, and that it would take five minutes to send - it never arrived, and its now two and a half days later. I really don't know what to do - I'm approaching the deadline for applications, and I don't want it to be late, but I cant seem to get anywhere with student finance as I can barely get into contact with them.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you:u:

Get your parents to do the paper forms instead, here http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/sfe_pff2_form_1617_d.pdf
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
get your parents to do the paper forms instead, here http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/sfe_pff2_form_1617_d.pdf

thank you so much, lifesaver
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Get your parents to do the paper forms instead, here http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/sfe_pff2_form_1617_d.pdf

Is there any delay with this being sent off? Will it update on my student finance page as soon as its done?
Original post by mk_31
Is there any delay with this being sent off? Will it update on my student finance page as soon as its done?

There shouldnt be a massive delay, i always did the paper forms myself as the system didnt like that my mum had a student loan in the early 2000's when i tried to sort it online.
Reply 5
27th May is the deadline for submitting your application in order to be guaranteed to have your SF in place for the start of the academic year. You've already submitted your application, so you've met that target. You don't have to complete your application by then. Relax.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending