The Student Room Group

Travelling Alone?

Hi guys!
Just joined today and this is my first post. I'm a 19 year old English female saving up to travel to Iceland later this year, and it will be my first time travelling without friends or family. Haven't booked the flights yet and thinking about doing a group package; I'll be 20 when I go. Just wondered if anyone else is a first time lone traveller this year or if anybody could share their trips on travelling alone? Any advice would be really helpful :smile:
Keep something on you for self-defense.
Original post by lotell
Hi guys!
Just joined today and this is my first post. I'm a 19 year old English female saving up to travel to Iceland later this year, and it will be my first time travelling without friends or family. Haven't booked the flights yet and thinking about doing a group package; I'll be 20 when I go. Just wondered if anyone else is a first time lone traveller this year or if anybody could share their trips on travelling alone? Any advice would be really helpful :smile:

I'm sixteen and will be flying to Mumbai on my own this summer oops

My advice (to myself mainly) is to a) get a direct flight because changing flights halfway through is just stressful and also b) an overnight flight so I can try and sleep and forget that I'm in a metal box in the sky with no loved ones around me with whom to spend my final day should the plane fail
Reply 3
i travelled alone its chill, better chances of dudes coming up to you than if you were with your parents
Reply 4
Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad
I'm sixteen and will be flying to Mumbai on my own this summer oops

My advice (to myself mainly) is to a) get a direct flight because changing flights halfway through is just stressful and also b) an overnight flight so I can try and sleep and forget that I'm in a metal box in the sky with no loved ones around me with whom to spend my final day should the plane fail

Well congrats on doing it at 16, I would definitely have not been mature enough! Good luck x
Reply 5
Self defense and dudes, interesting :P
Reply 6
Original post by lotell
Hi guys!

Do a group package thing, makes it easy to meet new people who you can then travel around with.

If you're staying in backpacker hostels you will meet people there.. especially if you're young and female.
Reply 7
To be honest though Iceland has a pretty low crime rate, so hopefully won't have to worry to much about someone stealing my wallet or something. And it's definitely more chill travelling alone, you can also do your own thing without worrying about what your friend or brother wants to do!
Yeah, just keep track of your money and make sure you have a way of getting access to emergency funds.
Reply 9
Original post by lotell
Hi guys!

People should be friendly... Iceland is a nice and friendly place so not much to worry about.

Basic safety applies, don't do stupid and go into the dark alone... that sort of thing.
Reply 10
Original post by Reue
Do a group package thing, makes it easy to meet new people who you can then travel around with.

If you're staying in backpacker hostels you will meet people there.. especially if you're young and female.

Yeah, guess it can also be cheaper. And it's a bit **** doing stuff by yourself. But you can still choose where you want to go at the same time.
Wooh yes it's great fun, I've done it a lot since I was younger.
Iceland is fab too! I'd say group packages are a pretty dire way of seeing the country, but as you're alone and can't drive, it will probably work out better for you, plus easier to plan.
Hope you enjoy :biggrin:
I started solo traveling when I was ~15 and still often do. Tbh, it's actually less stressful than flying with family/friends lol. Don't worry about flight changes, most airports have everything labeled in English, and staff that speak English.
Original post by lotell
Well congrats on doing it at 16, I would definitely have not been mature enough! Good luck x

haha I'm not mature enough , I'll probably get on the wrong plane... good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending