The Student Room Group

Raf cbat

Hello there,

I've decided to post a thread on here as it would be interesting to hear the advice from any of you who are kindly able to offer me during this stage of my life.

I'm currently 21 and half years old wanting to be a pilot in the RAF (I'm sure this isn't the first time you've heard this).

Recently, end of last year, I applied to be a pilot. I sat my aptitude back in November 15. After the tests finished I tried to flush pilot out of my system, because I knew some tests didn't go well which may have had an effect on the remaining tests I carried out. I was debriefed my the Flt Lt and at complete shock I achieved a score of 122, however I was half a stanine off for pilot (I will not say which test it was as its confidential). This was a complete kick in the face as I know I was that close from achieving a result I thought was not in me.

After the aptitude I decided to carry on for another role (ABM). The interview didn't go well as the Sqn Ldr could clearly see I haven't flushed pilot out of my system. After the interview I had a conversation about CBAT and he advised me of 2 options. Option 1 was to retake the aptitude because of my score or option 2 was to flush pilot out of my system and pursue another career. He advised me because of my age to go for it again. I mean why wouldn't I? It's a dream for me to be a pilot in the RAF. I also have contact with a Sqn Ldr at RAF Valley who advised me to sit the aptitude again.

My only worry of course is that I won't make it. Since the test, there hasn't been a day where I haven't played a game, whether that be a multitasking one, a hand eye coordination game (flight simulator) and just in general trying to practise and keep my brain active.

I know this post is pretty long and I'd like to thank you for reading this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Re-apply, take them again. Statistically most people improve on second attempts and your current score isn't bad at all. In the meantime prepare yourself as best as you can for the other elements of OASC, in particular the interview.
Reply 2
Like you said, youre still young, so why not go around again and have a second crack at it, you'll be committed for a long time most likely once you do get through the process (fingers crossed!) so you don't want to go in as an ABM if you'll just spend your time thinking "What if?"

I was lucky enough to get the aptitude first time and I'm currently waiting for my oasc date, but I know if I had missed it there's no question - I would redo it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi,

Thank you both for your replies, it's greatly appreciated. I will make sure I'm prepared for a everything else throughout the process!

JWood27, best of luck for OASC and well done on the aptitude result! I've heard mixed reviews about OASC. I guess the main things are to be yourself, be prepared and get involved!
Reply 4
Just go through it again. You will get over your last scores. The scores etc are only sensitive to you, if you want to share them then it is your choice, not OASCs.
Reply 5
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I will retake the aptitude again and try not to knock my head between now and November..

In terms of the score, I was half a stanine off the Strategic Management section, scoring 3 instead of the 4 required. I know which test it was and i wasn't quite sure what was asked of me initially when the instructions were given out.

Thanks,

Jordan.

Quick Reply

Latest