The Student Room Group

Paranoia and bipolar 2???

Hey.

I saw a psychiatrist just over a month ago and have been told that I most likely have bipolar 2, which I do agree with as I realise how extreme my mood swings are. However, during my appointment, I also raised some concerns about paranoia which I felt were ignored because they weren't currently a problem for me. I was asked if I believed it at the moment- I said that I didn't, although, at the time, my paranoid thoughts seem one hundred percent logical and realistic. I have another appointment in late June (hopefully for an official diagnosis and treatment) but I am just concerned about these problems being ignored.

I go through a few weeks of severe paranoia (often to the point of not leaving the house or eating food not cooked by myself) every year and have noticed that the intensity of this paranoia is increasing every time. I am concerned that it could become a more serious problem and I don't want to receive the wrong treatment. From what I have read, paranoia is not a symptom of bipolar 2.

What would you recommend I do?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey.

I saw a psychiatrist just over a month ago and have been told that I most likely have bipolar 2, which I do agree with as I realise how extreme my mood swings are. However, during my appointment, I also raised some concerns about paranoia which I felt were ignored because they weren't currently a problem for me. I was asked if I believed it at the moment- I said that I didn't, although, at the time, my paranoid thoughts seem one hundred percent logical and realistic. I have another appointment in late June (hopefully for an official diagnosis and treatment) but I am just concerned about these problems being ignored.

I go through a few weeks of severe paranoia (often to the point of not leaving the house or eating food not cooked by myself) every year and have noticed that the intensity of this paranoia is increasing every time. I am concerned that it could become a more serious problem and I don't want to receive the wrong treatment. From what I have read, paranoia is not a symptom of bipolar 2.

What would you recommend I do?

Hey. Firstly I think the most important thing is to get the treatment that you need. A diagnosis is not as important so hopefully your treating team will focus on getting you on the right treatment.

In terms of the paranoia, if it is not an active problem, it's obviously quite hard for a doctor to judge what the main issue behind the paranoia is (for example, the two biggest causes of paranoia is psychosis and stress, and both have very different treatment approaches). Maybe the best thing to do would be that if the paranoia comes back, then contact your psych so they or someone else can assess you and see if you need any intervention. Sometimes paranoia passes by itself after a short while and no intervention is needed. You are right that bipolar 2 does not include any psychotic symptoms, but it does not exclude paranoia that could be brought on by stress (sometimes called pseudo psychosis). Best of luck with everything and always feel free to PM if you need to talk about anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by bullettheory
Hey. Firstly I think the most important thing is to get the treatment that you need. A diagnosis is not as important so hopefully your treating team will focus on getting you on the right treatment.

In terms of the paranoia, if it is not an active problem, it's obviously quite hard for a doctor to judge what the main issue behind the paranoia is (for example, the two biggest causes of paranoia is psychosis and stress, and both have very different treatment approaches). Maybe the best thing to do would be that if the paranoia comes back, then contact your psych so they or someone else can assess you and see if you need any intervention. Sometimes paranoia passes by itself after a short while and no intervention is needed. You are right that bipolar 2 does not include any psychotic symptoms, but it does not exclude paranoia that could be brought on by stress (sometimes called pseudo psychosis). Best of luck with everything and always feel free to PM if you need to talk about anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not going to answer the OP because what you have said is wrong, as the OP should ignore it.

You CANNOT say that a diagnosis is less important than treatment. You need a diagnosis to make sure that someone gets the right treatment.

Paranoia is a symptom of many mental illnesses, however, it can also be enhanced if the OP is tending to try and see if they have any symptoms. It's a double edge sword.

You are not medical advice, please don't suggest it.

OP, see them again.
hi, you need to try to arrange another appointment with the phyciatrist just regarding your paranoia. take the treatment recommended till further notice of the doctor. also write down your problems in a diary so you can explain them clearly
Original post by IAmNero
Not going to answer the OP because what you have said is wrong, as the OP should ignore it.

You CANNOT say that a diagnosis is less important than treatment. You need a diagnosis to make sure that someone gets the right treatment.

Paranoia is a symptom of many mental illnesses, however, it can also be enhanced if the OP is tending to try and see if they have any symptoms. It's a double edge sword.

You are not medical advice, please don't suggest it.

OP, see them again.

I didn't say that a diagnosis is not important, however, it is my opinion that diagnosis is not as important as getting the correct treatment - diagnoses can have negative consequences, and if you are able to get treatment for an illness without a diagnosis I would say that is preferable. From the psychiatrists and mental health professionals that I have worked with and spoken to, they also feel that diagnosis is less important than diagnosis. Treat the symptoms - not a label.

Could you tell me what I have said to the OP that is wrong? I didn't tell them not to seek advice from their doctor? I told them to see their doctor if the paranoia comes back. However, I was just informing them that paranoia can be normal and doesn't necessarily mean mental illness, but I did tell them to see their doctor. I did not say anywhere that my view was medical advice or that it should be taken in place of seeing a doctor.

If I have misunderstood, please let me know.
Reply 5
:bump:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending