The Student Room Group

How Do I Watch Anime???

Okay so I am an absolute virgin when it comes to Anime. I have my likes and dislikes because I don't really enjoy watching 'cartoons' when I could be watching something more real. The only Anime I have watched is Sword Art Online which was actually pretty good. I want to get into Anime more. Has anyone got any good suggestions for me?
Don't just watch the super mainstream stuff. Also, if you're not able to keep up with the subtitles, start with dub (despite them being mostly terrible).

What kind of genres/things are you into? I could send you a list to watch too.
Original post by Nihaj
Okay so I am an absolute virgin when it comes to Anime. I have my likes and dislikes because I don't really enjoy watching 'cartoons' when I could be watching something more real. The only Anime I have watched is Sword Art Online which was actually pretty good. I want to get into Anime more. Has anyone got any good suggestions for me?

Death note
Parasyte the maxim
Danganronpa
Reply 3
Original post by Nihaj

Parasyte [Must Watch]
Hunter x Hunter 2011[Must Watch]
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Re:Zero Hajimeru [Ongoing]
Boku no Hero Academia [Ongoing]
Shingeki no Kyojin
Akame ga Kill
Nanatsu no Taizai
Kill la Kill
Boku dake ga inai machi
One Punch Man
Overlord
No Game No Life
Monogatari series
Durarara series
Prison School
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok. Its very simple.

Go on anime sites that have anime episodes like gogoanime.io and sites like myanimelist where they have ratings of genres of anime you might be interested in. Click on a specific genre you might like like action. Read reviews and summaries of the anime you might be interested in. Make sure to read reviews of every anime you watch before watching! It saves you time from crappy anime.
If you can breathe, read, and watch while watching an anime with subs then I recommend subs. No dubs. Basically just start with the basic popular search like blue exorcist, bleach, and naruto.

Some animes that people hype up you may not like. Watch the first episode of an anime and if you don't like it or the anime doesn't work for you, then quit watching it. Some people are going to hype up bad anime because its popular so beware.
Death note
Akame ga kill
Future Diary/Mirai Nikki
Tokyo ghoul
Original post by Nihaj

Aiko's Beginner's Guide to Anime thread has a lot of recommendations at the bottom, arranged by genre, that are all quite newbie-friendly (and very good too). :yes:

Sites like Anime-Planet which allow you to look up what's popular, or search by genre/length etc can also be very helpful. Plus the recommendations pages can be very good - if you're interested in other series similar to Sword Art Online for example, there's a lot of suggestions to be found there. :smile:

I won't bombard you with any more series suggestions myself, as it looks like you've got plenty to consider already in this thread. :p: But feel free to drop by TSR's Anime Society if you want to chat about anything you decide to pick up. :biggrin:
Reply 7
I have quite a few favourites, most contain action/romance (some don't), but I'll only put a few:

Mirai Nikki (I've rewatched this about 4 times - Yuno is the best)
Attack On Titan (I've rewatched this one twice, so you might like it^^)
Akame Ga Kill
Danganronpa
Death Note
One Punch Man
Parasyte
Death Parade
Food Wars
Toradora

I watch plenty of romance anime though, so I'll be happy to recommend some more if you like the genre at all :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks for the suggestions guys, will definitely be checking them out after my exams :P
Feel free to PM me, I can help find specific ones depending on any specific likes or dislikes you have or favorite genres.
Original post by The_JoKeR
Feel free to PM me, I can help find specific ones depending on any specific likes or dislikes you have or favorite genres.

Can you recommend me something like death note and danganronpa. Some thing short and sweet builds up quickly and has loads of suspense. I've watched monster but it's so damn slow at times
Original post by TheSmyths
Can you recommend me something like death note and danganronpa. Some thing short and sweet builds up quickly and has loads of suspense. I've watched monster but it's so damn slow at times

Assassination Classroom is similar in plot to Danganronpa but much more light hearted.
Code Geass is another one you might like, builds up quite quickly but not exactly short.
Btooom! is also a good one, although its a bit gory.
Theres also Highschool of the Dead which is similar to Btoom! but set in a apocalyptic setting.
Mirai Nikki, like Btoom! is a bit gory as well but builds up quite quickly, although it's 24 episodes.
Theres also Charlotte which is quite an interesting one, builds up really fast, not really much suspense but gets really deep later on.

Theres quite a few there so what I'd suggest is watching the first half, if not the whole of the first episode and seeing if you like it, if not try another one.

Quick Reply

Latest