The Student Room Group

do i have to give back my last loan instalment?

a few months ago i deferred the rest of my uni course until september. it was because of mental health issues and i was granted mitigating circumstances but this didn't go through until a few days after i got the final instalment of my loan. however i recently applied to another uni, successfully, for entry at level 2. so i've decided to go there and take the year over again, instead of returning to my current uni.so do i have to pay back the last instalment of my loan since i haven't actually been in university this term because i'm on a mitigating circumstances leave? and if so how do i go about it?
Original post by belladonnas
a few months ago i deferred the rest of my uni course until september. it was because of mental health issues and i was granted mitigating circumstances but this didn't go through until a few days after i got the final instalment of my loan. however i recently applied to another uni, successfully, for entry at level 2. so i've decided to go there and take the year over again, instead of returning to my current uni.so do i have to pay back the last instalment of my loan since i haven't actually been in university this term because i'm on a mitigating circumstances leave? and if so how do i go about it?

You may well have to repay some of this terms payment. It will depend on how your university notified SLC about your withdrawal. With mitigating circumstances then you can be paid for 60 days after your withdrawal date so it's possible you'll only have to repay a small proportion (or if the mitigating circumstances aren't accepted or aren't sent to SLC right then you might have to repay all of it).

Basically don't spend it if you can and wait - you'll get a letter from SLC/SFE soon.

You should apply for 2016/17 finance as a continuing student ASAP though - you can notify them of your change of university and repeat year on the application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending