Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

What should I use for travel after Camp America?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I'm off to work as a counsellor in North Carolina in 3 weeks. I'll be getting paid about $1200(£800ish) and I know that'll be given to me on a sort of cash card. But after camp I'll be travelling for a month and I know for a fact that I'll be spending all of that. What do people recommend for me to use after everything on the cash card is empty? Please forgive me if its a stupid question 😬

    Can you clarify your question? Are you just looking for cheap transportation?

    You're asking us what to do when you run out of money? Lol. Could always pimp yourself out.
    • Thread Starter

    Nah, I've got money in a UK account. I'm just worried about getting screwed over by bank fees and transaction charges so I was wondering if there is a good way for me to spend money in the US and not get ****ed by the banks. Looking for advice from someone who's been before with a summer camp. Sorry for not clarifying enough

    Best thing to do is just take money out, get it changed and take it with you.
    Then just take extra out when you need it over there but only do this once or twice (taking the maximum if you need) to avoid bank charges.
    And make sure you tell your bank you're going.
    mine was a pain and locked down my account even though I had given them the dates and times I was due to fly!

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    I agree about just taking out money from here.
    However, summer camp might not be the safest place so you could always look in to a travel money card from the post office

    You can use at any shops/ATM that accept master-card (basically all of them) and the only fees that will apply are if the machine has a fee.
    The exchange range is pretty ****, but compare with your local holiday agents as it might be worth it due to its convenience.

    Hope this helped.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.