The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Mechatronics & Robotic Engineering?

I was wondering if anyone on here applied for the same courae as I did for University of Sheffield because I dont know of anyone going to Sheffield, let alone someone doing the same course as me. Or anyone applied for courses from the same department (ACSE) and have conditional offers?

Also, how lenient do you think Sheffield would be with an AAB offer? Like the lowest grades they will accept? I think I might underachieve :'(
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by tashav98
I was wondering if anyone on here applied for the same courae as I did for University of Sheffield because I dont know of anyone going to Sheffield, let alone someone doing the same course as me. Or anyone applied for courses from the same department (ACSE) and have conditional offers?

Also, how lenient do you think Sheffield would be with an AAB offer? Like the lowest grades they will accept? I think I might underachieve :'(

Hi! I applied too and have a conditional offer. Right now I'm on an ABC so I'm really trying my best to get that AAB lmao ;__; I hope they'll be lenient just in case though..
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Seviper
Hi! I applied too and have a conditional offer. Right now I'm on an ABC so I'm really trying my best to get that AAB lmao ;__; I hope they'll be lenient just in case though..

On the open day they said to give them a call on results day if we didnt meet the requirements as we could still get accepted because they are 'flexible'. How flexible I dont know though
Reply 3
Original post by tashav98
On the open day they said to give them a call on results day if we didnt meet the requirements as we could still get accepted because they are 'flexible'. How flexible I dont know though

Hopefully it's at least a grade lower :grin:
Reply 4
Hi everyone, I am holding an offer for that course this year. To those of you who eventually went to Sheffield, how hard would you say the first year is so far? I am worried the level could be a bit too "low" because it does not really seem to get very deep on any subject, unlike just "Mechanical Engineering" which may have "Fluid dynamics 4" or so. Also, I noticed the absence of subjects like Thermodynamics or Flow in the contents, but maybe it is included in some other subject. Have you been given lessons on those so far or are going to? I am into robotics but I am very good at Physics and would not like to miss learning about heat, fluids and all that jazz. Maybe I should rather go for Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, what do you think?
Original post by jackf9m
Hi everyone, I am holding an offer for that course this year. To those of you who eventually went to Sheffield, how hard would you say the first year is so far? I am worried the level could be a bit too "low" because it does not really seem to get very deep on any subject, unlike just "Mechanical Engineering" which may have "Fluid dynamics 4" or so. Also, I noticed the absence of subjects like Thermodynamics or Flow in the contents, but maybe it is included in some other subject. Have you been given lessons on those so far or are going to? I am into robotics but I am very good at Physics and would not like to miss learning about heat, fluids and all that jazz. Maybe I should rather go for Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, what do you think?

It's mechatronics and robotics so it doesn't have a whole lot of mechanical engineering topics in it, definitely not thermofluids. The first year of Sheffield engineering courses is an intro to the subject, because I guarantee you that you haven't seen or even heard of at least half of the stuff that will come up, that especially applies to ACSE department courses.

From the sounds of it you'd be better of doing Sheffield's Aerospace degree as it's a mash-up of the ACSE and CompSci topics covered by the mechatronics degree alongside the Mechanical aspects you're interested in. You miss out on the robotics topics but that can be solved by doing a masters in robotics or similar as robotics is a 3rd/4th year level topic anyway so it wouldn't delay it that much.
Reply 6
Original post by Seviper
Hopefully it's at least a grade lower :grin:

I forgot to ask afyer results day if you managed to get in xD how did it go did you get in and if you did or didnt what were your grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending