The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Computing - Tuesday 19th June.

Anyone else taking this paper?

I've been going over some practice papers and to say the least i'm worried, it seems a whole lot harder than all of the other exams in the course.

Also the papers out of 65, and then the marks get scaled up to out of 90, does anyone know where I could find the scheme that tells you what the mark scale is?

I've tried the AQA site and I could find anything.

Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Its on the AQA site under statstics. Anyway mid 40 will get you an A grade.
It not that hard compared to the other unit, just more application. i.e. alot of calcualtions and a trace tables, and algorthims.
Which module is it?! 4 or 5? (6 is coursework), I did 4 in January i think, n that was fair tricky, but isn't 5 the "advanced systems development" one (that' the one i've got next Tuesday)...in which case it didn't seem THAT hard, specially since i need 35% for an A! Woo.
Reply 3
I'm doing both Module 5 and 6 on tuesday and i haven't even finished my notes let alone started past papers. I am worried as well. I need 2 B's to get an A overall, hopefully i can do it but its going to be tough. A2 computing is much more difficult than AS it seems to me. So much to remember.
Reply 4
Lem
OP
jack_sparrow
Which module is it?! 4 or 5? (6 is coursework), I did 4 in January i think, n that was fair tricky, but isn't 5 the "advanced systems development" one (that' the one i've got next Tuesday)...in which case it didn't seem THAT hard, specially since i need 35% for an A! Woo.

Im doing 4 Processing and Programming Techniques, I did unit 5 in January.

Slick 'n' Shady
Its on the AQA site under statstics. Anyway mid 40 will get you an A grade.
It not that hard compared to the other unit, just more application. i.e. alot of calcualtions and a trace tables, and algorthims.

Yeah thats where i come unstuck, on the calculations, algorithms and trace tables lol, much prefer mainly definition papers.

Just trying to work out how much I actually need for my next grade out of the paper.
gam3r
I'm doing both Module 5 and 6 on tuesday and i haven't even finished my notes let alone started past papers. I am worried as well. I need 2 B's to get an A overall, hopefully i can do it but its going to be tough. A2 computing is much more difficult than AS it seems to me. So much to remember.

You mean 4 and 5 right? Yea 4 is the killer, 5 has alot of common sense.
I'm in the same position as you need two ow B's or v. high Cs to get A overall and get into Kings.
God willing, I will see you there!:biggrin:
jack_sparrow

Out of curiosity, what did you get in CPT4?
Reply 7
Lem
OP
Slick 'n' Shady

I got a B personally, I'm going to be borderline B or C for a final grade i reckon. Can't seem to find the scaled marks on the AQA site just aload of other crap lol.

Annoying as I found it at college a few weeks back.
Reply 8
I did CPT4 in Jan as well, and somehow managed 83 on it.... :s-smilie:

Not looking forward to CPT5 though, I'm absolutely hopeless at the 'common sense' answers, I'd much rather learn some hardcore computing theory and then work out answers to questions. :frown:
CPT5 for me is the easiest module of the lot...provided the notes you make cover every single point in the spec...you should be fine...im dreading cpt4 exam though....i dnt like the assembly questions nor do i like the trace tables...anyone got any tips for me on that area of cpt4?...
jazznaz
I did CPT4 in Jan as well, and somehow managed 83 on it.... :s-smilie:

Not looking forward to CPT5 though, I'm absolutely hopeless at the 'common sense' answers, I'd much rather learn some hardcore computing theory and then work out answers to questions. :frown:

how did you get 83:s-smilie: ...i thought that paper was ridiculously difficult...congrats anyway....any tips for me?
Reply 11
Lem
OP
f.amir
CPT5 for me is the easiest module of the lot...provided the notes you make cover every single point in the spec...you should be fine...im dreading cpt4 exam though....i dnt like the assembly questions nor do i like the trace tables...anyone got any tips for me on that area of cpt4?...

I feel exactly the same as you lol, im crap at all that stuff. I've got all my exams on one day so im hoping that Computing is first to get it out the way.
ive got 4 exams on 19th!...i want to do cpt5 first!
Reply 13
Lem
OP
f.amir
ive got 4 exams on 19th!...i want to do cpt5 first!

I've got 3 lol, I feel for you.

Edex Business Studies, AQA ICT and AQA Computing. Fun filled day!
hehe... 2 computing, 1 business and 1 biology....nice mix!
Reply 15
f.amir
how did you get 83:s-smilie: ...i thought that paper was ridiculously difficult...congrats anyway....any tips for me?

I think it just came well together on the day... :s
Hmm...

Know the FE Cycle really well
Be able to describe the vectored interrupt mechanism
Sound knowledge of assembly language
Know how to do all the mathematical stuff

Really you need to aim to be getting full marks on the big questions, because those are marks that you can't afford to lose. (IMO)
Reply 16
Lem
OP
jazznaz
I think it just came well together on the day... :s
Hmm...

Know the FE Cycle really well
Be able to describe the vectored interrupt mechanism
Sound knowledge of assembly language
Know how to do all the mathematical stuff

Really you need to aim to be getting full marks on the big questions, because those are marks that you can't afford to lose. (IMO)

nice advice, luckily im quite good at the Fetch Exectute cycle, Assembly language pisses me off though. Im hoping linked lists, Trees and Stacks come up, easy marks, all the practice papers i've done though they've not appeared much.
I am actually really looking forward to the CPT4 examination, lots of logic to pass the time, although on that Tuesday I have 5 1/2 hours of examinations in the Morning session which will make me one cranky candidate by late evening :biggrin:

What does everyone reckon will appear on the CPT4 paper, I am pretty sure the appearance of Assembly Language, Floating Point and Operating Systems is highly likely.
Reply 18
Lem
OP
michaelbenson
I am actually really looking forward to the CPT4 examination, lots of logic to pass the time, although on that Tuesday I have 5 1/2 hours of examinations in the Morning session which will make me one cranky candidate by late evening :biggrin:

What does everyone reckon will appear on the CPT4 paper, I am pretty sure the appearance of Assembly Language, Floating Point and Operating Systems is highly likely.

Logic programming appears to be on every past exam, so i guess thats likely to. And the trade mark Trace tables.
Slick 'n' Shady

I got 75/90, which would have been a lot lower had i not revised all those processor instruction (LDA etc.) just before the exam, there was a 7-10 marker on that!

Latest