The Student Room Group
Any Introduction to Psychology at undergrad level book should be enough. I remember my first year at university, it was very much what we covered at alevel but just more assessments. Try and always get the latest edition. I reccommend this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atkinson-Hilgards-Introduction-Psychology-Edward/dp/0155050699/ref=sr_1_17/202-1373478-1257425?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181734986&sr=8-17

If you have a cognitive psychology module in your years at university, then this book is just perfect!!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cognitive-Psychology-Students-Handbook-5th/dp/1841693596/ref=pd_bowtega_1/202-1373478-1257425?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181735065&sr=1-1
as different course do slightly different stuff ask ur uni, they will be able to provide reading lists 4 the summer b4 the first yr, plus maybe buy some of the first yr books and read them
psychology through diagrams will quite good, its an a2 book and has 1 pg per topic like a spider diagram or poster lay out, good overview without boring long passages!
Reply 3
If you've never studied Psychology before I'd recommend getting hold of an A Level text book to start off with. I think most A Level courses use an Eyesenck (that's the author, he's quite a famous psychologist) one (can't for the life of me remember the title but it's sorta rainbow coloured). Also if you're going onto the degree you'll probably be best familiarising yourself with the research methods side of what you'll be doing too - experimental designs and some basic stats maybe? just whack something like 'Reasearch Methods and Statistics for Psychology' into amazon. Or you cuold go for a general further reading text - try The Science of Mind and Behaviour' by Richard Gross or an general first year undergrad book. We used 'An Introduction To Psychology' by Weiten.

Good luck!!
Reply 4
As well as that, reading that's lighter and still highly recommended includes the work of Oliver Sacks and Steven Pinker. They are very good authors and I think that anyone could enjoy them! I've also seen them on a few university reading lists so...
Reply 5
research methods and stats are probably the easiest things to read up on before you start as they are the most guaranteed to come up somewhere in your course.

a really good A Level book that I used was by Diana Dwyer called "revise psychology key topics"

hope this helps :smile:

Latest