Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

When do I have to pay the pre-payment fee for accommodation?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hey, so I firmed Birmingham and I applied for accommodation but it says there is a £550 pre-payment ( how does this work by the way, do I get it back at the end or do i pay less each month?) and also If i don't get the results will I get my money back. When must I pay the pre-payment, is it after I get my student finance or after results when I can open a student account and get the interest free overdraft? I can't afford to pay all the money at once, is there a way I can pay it over a few months?

I'm struggling with this whole prepayment thing too, but here's what I know after emailing the uni about it:

It isn't a deposit so you won't get it back. Instead, it's taken out of your first load of rent. Frustratingly, if you pay the money but don't end up going to Birmingham, you don't get that £550 back. You won't have your student finance yet by the time you have to pay it either, so we kind of have to pull the money out of our butts Though an overdraft is a good option. As for paying it, here's what they said:

We will only offer you a place within our accommodation once your offer becomes unconditional so no earlier than summer. You will be asked to make the pre-payment of £550 within 4 days of receiving an offer and you have further 7 days to cancel it and to receive a refund.
    They also said the first round of places are allocated in July, which kind of sucks for those without unconditional offers as they'll be less likely to get their top choices.

Hope that clears things up, anywho!

Oh if it's after results day anyways it's not that bad since you already know if you got in or not, I thought initially that you would have to pay it in July and if you don't get the grades you just lose the money, but luckily that's not the case ;p After results you can open a student account with an interest free overdraft and pay it off when your student finance comes through. Uff thanks for the help, took a huge weight off my chest ^^
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.