The Student Room Group

Advice needed for what to do next!

I'm coming to the end of a Foundation Degree in Graphic Communications at Kingston, However, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not good enough to pursue this as a career. I also think that I may not even receive a passing grade for the FDA. Also, as this is a vocational course, my job options would be limited.

So I think I should start over and study a more traditonally academic subject. The two best ones for me are English and History. I've always done well in English and I've always loved History. The problem is my qualifications. I have 4 A-C GCSEs: B in Art, C in English, Design & Technology and Media. I also have an AVCE Double awards in Art & Design at Grade CC (160 points).

I want to apply to a University of London college but, with the above qualifications, my only realistic hope is applying to Birkbeck. I will be 21 in a few weeks so I would eligible to apply without the normal entry requirements. However, as it's part-time, it would take 4 years to complete as opposed to the standard 3 years. I also fear my classmates will be significantly older than me although ULU is just around the corner. :smile:

I did thonk of applying for my two subjects at Queen Mary via Clearing but even this seems unlikely. Maybe I would stand a chance as a mature student but even that may not be enough. I also thought of taking an Access course but it might be too late to apply and that would take at least a year to complete.

So, what do you folks think is the best thing for me to do?
Well, it looks like either way will take you 4 years, either because of doing it part time or doing an Access course, so I think it comes down to how much you want to go to uni this year and how much choice you want. Personally I'd do an Access course because it might be too hard going straight into a degree when you haven't done English since GCSE and history since presumably Key Stage 3 as that wasn't one of the GCSEs you mentioned. It would also give you a lot more choice over where you could apply because even as a mature student, it might be difficult when your only post GCSE qualifications are in art. By the way, just in case you didn't know, you can also do a joint degree in English and history, so you don't have to choose between them if you don't want to.
Reply 2
kellywood_5
Well, it looks like either way will take you 4 years, either because of doing it part time or doing an Access course, so I think it comes down to how much you want to go to uni this year and how much choice you want. Personally I'd do an Access course because it might be too hard going straight into a degree when you haven't done English since GCSE and history since presumably Key Stage 3 as that wasn't one of the GCSEs you mentioned. It would also give you a lot more choice over where you could apply because even as a mature student, it might be difficult when your only post GCSE qualifications are in art. By the way, just in case you didn't know, you can also do a joint degree in English and history, so you don't have to choose between them if you don't want to.

Thank you for your response. You are correct in your assumptions regarding my last experiences of studying English and History. I would have done History if I was given the opportunity as I really enjoyed it. I am aware you do English and History as a joint degree but I thought it might be better to concentrate on just one. I'm not sure which one would have more interest to employers.

Regarding Access courses, do you apply for universities while you're still studying? What I mean by that is would you do your UCAS application in late 2007/early 08 with predicted grades for the end of the course included?
im not too sure but i fink u apply while still studying or at least thats wat im gonna do wen i start an access course september. an as far as access courses go there really isnt any predicted grades, u just need a certain level of points to get into a uni or dats wat all d unis ive emailed hve said anyways.

historys a good option as thats wat im going for aswell. if u like german history then thats good as thats wat most unis offer aswell as other fings in d course!

if u wana kno wat colleges offer access courses in ur area then check out the ucas website, u can search region by region on there & if u have a uni specifically in mind then check there prospectus as sumtimes they offer access courses or sumthin similar aswell.

isnt too late to do an access course as im doin one & havnt even had an interview for it yet, just look for the dates of ur local colleges nxt enrolment & go along then, if there nethin like here then there shud b 1 sumtime july or early august.
Reply 4
Any more suggestions? :smile:
Reply 5
If QM are in Extra email them to see if they would give you a place this year?
Reply 6
kirstinx
If QM are in Extra email them to see if they would give you a place this year?

But surely my qualifications at the moment prohibits me from being a suitable candidare? I'm not sure how I could convince them.
Reply 7
I've decided to try and apply through UCAS for entry this year. The subject I'm going for is History. I've chosen King's College, Queen Mary and Goldsmiths. I've emailed each one a sample essay. I've not heard back from QM yet but have had positive feedback from the other two. Both have encouraged me to apply formally to them. If it doesn't work out, I'll go for the access course and apply for next year. I'll just have to see what happens. :smile:
Reply 8
Good Luck :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you. I'm going to need it!
Reply 10
Good luck with uni and stuff :smile:
Reply 11
OK, I've sent my application. The final choices were Queen Mary, Goldsmiths and Roehampton. At QM and Roehampton, I'm applying for combined honours in History and Film Studies. At Golds, it's straight History although there are film modules too. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending