Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post


Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I'm wanting to defer my second year and in the response from the head of program who told me to talk to me tutor, she mentioned intercalating. I've emailed my tutor but what is intercalating? Never heard of it before.

    Are you a medical student? If so it's a year that you spend doing essentially the final year of a normal BSc degree (depending on what is offered by your uni). If not a medical student can you give a bit more info about your circumstances?

    Intercalating is basically doing a degree in between your current degree. So you'd take a year out, get another degree on top of your current main one, and then go back to your current main degree. That way, you come out with 2 degrees - a BSc, and whatever other one you are doing.

    Usually you have to write a dissertation within that year on some research, and also do some modules. I intercalated this year and it was pretty stressful but I don't regret it
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.