The Student Room Group

Finance job without any internship or previous work experience?

So yeah, have a first in Bsc Economics and will probably undertake the Msc Finance or Msc Finance and Economics at Warwick.

However, I keep hearing about how everyone has interships and relevant work experience under their belts. I myself decided years ago that I didn't want to sacrifice my academic perfomance, and therefore committed myself 100% to achieving good grades.

In addition, I live in greece and it is kind of hard to land any job, when youth unemployment in my country is a mindblowing 52%!!!!

So the question is, if I do in fact study in the UK at the respectable uni mentioned above, what are my chances on landing a job in asset management, or basically any banking job? (except IB, I really don't care much for working 80 hours a week)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vallern
So yeah, have a first in Bsc Economics and will probably undertake the Msc Finance or Msc Finance and Economics at Warwick.

However, I keep hearing about how everyone having interships and previous wok experience under their belts. I myself decided years ago that I didn't want to sacrifice my grades, and therefore committed myself 100% to achieving good grades.

In addition I leave in greece, and it is kind of hard to land any job, when youth unemployment in my country is a mindblowing 52%!!!!

So the question is, if I do in fact study in the UK at the respectable uni mentioned above, what are my chances on landing a job in asset management, or basically any banking job? (except IB, I really don't care much for working 80 hours a week)
Thanks for your input!!

Low-ish chances but doable if you can get something sorted out for the summer before your Masters. I hope you're networking as much as possible, because that'll help big time if you're not quite as 'strong' a candidate as of yet.

If you're applying to the banks (I assume S&T/Research/AM?) then definitely apply for internships as the banks are notorious for filling their grad classes with prior interns or interns of other banks. You can apply for grad positions at the big AM firms as they don't have as heavy a intern to full time pipeline as banks do.

Can't really put a number on your chances, you just have to work hard to get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Low-ish chances but doable if you can get something sorted out for the summer before your Masters. I hope you're networking as much as possible, because that'll help big time if you're not quite as 'strong' a candidate as of yet.

If you're applying to the banks (I assume S&T/Research/AM?) then definitely apply for internships as the banks are notorious for filling their grad classes with prior interns or interns of other banks. You can apply for grad positions at the big AM firms as they don't have as heavy a intern to full time pipeline as banks do.

Can't really put a number on your chances, you just have to work hard to get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hard to actually do something this summer, as I have to attend the Hellenic Navy for a full year (serving in the military is mandatory in greece).
I apologise for pestering you with additional questions, but is it doable to apply for grad positions in asset management firms with 0 work experience?
What if I applied to smaller asset management firms or insurance companies as a means of getting valuable experience so I can apply to bigger companies later on? Are they more lenient?
Thanks in advance for your input, I greatly appreciate it!!
Original post by Vallern
Hard to actually do something this summer, as I have to attend the Hellenic Navy for a full year (serving in the military is mandatory in greece).
I apologise for pestering you with additional questions, but is it doable to apply for grad positions in asset management firms with 0 work experience?
What if I applied to smaller asset management firms or insurance companies as a means of getting valuable experience so I can apply to bigger companies later on? Are they more lenient?
Thanks in advance for your input, I greatly appreciate it!!

You can definitely apply without work experience (but of course, you need to have something on your CV) to AM firms. It's really anybody's guess until you've actually sent in an application and heard back.
Did this work out for you ?I happen to be in a similar position - even attending Warwick ( for an MSc in economics though)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending