The Student Room Group

AQA AS Psychology unit 1 Old spec unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by callumartell
does anyone know whether it will be possible to resit this exam or been as though they've changed the exam specification is it the last exam paper (psay1/2) that they are doing?

I'm not sure, but I think that was the last PSYA1 paper they'll do, so there would be no chance to resit that specification as that was the resit paper.
Reply 41
Original post by smegsxo
Memory I thought was pretty good all round, but I made a few really stupid mistakes. I talked about Hodges and Tizard, Rutter and Robertson and Robertson with John but I wrote 4 pages for the 12 marker and messed up the research methods. A solid B would be fine for me, though obviously I want an A. I think the boundaries may be higher as the paper seemed relatively easy/okay for the most part.

I think boundaries will be low. Many found this exam difficult!
Original post by NHM
I think boundaries will be low. Many found this exam difficult!

I definitely found attachment the hardest, but personally I felt last years was harder and the boundaries were harsh then. But then I could have just answered all the questions wrong and done really badly- which is very possible! :tongue:
I personally think just those two!! It must be purely about institutions and not just privation.
Reply 44
Original post by smegsxo
I definitely found attachment the hardest, but personally I felt last years was harder and the boundaries were harsh then. But then I could have just answered all the questions wrong and done really badly- which is very possible! :tongue:

I got a C last year so not all that bad, but wanted an A so badly 😂 Guess we will just have to see what the boundaries are like!
Reply 45
Original post by RamsSR
Due to the 12 marker asking about the 'effects of institutional care' would reference to studies such as Spitz & Wolf, Skodak & Skeels and even daycare(NICHD/EPPE) be relevant to the question? Or was it solely looking for Hodges & Tizard and Rutter?

Not day care, as that is not institutional care
Original post by RamsSR
Due to the 12 marker asking about the 'effects of institutional care' would reference to studies such as Spitz & Wolf, Skodak & Skeels and even daycare(NICHD/EPPE) be relevant to the question? Or was it solely looking for Hodges & Tizard and Rutter?

I don't think the day care studies would have been relevant, but i know a Skeels and Dye (1939) study which i think would definitely have been relevant! Though i do think they will be primarily looking for Hodges n Tizard/ Rutter et al.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think daycare is relevant. I did Hodges and Tizard/Goldfarb/Spitz
Original post by lucywebb123
I don't think the day care studies would have been relevant, but i know a Skeels and Dye (1939) study which i think would definitely have been relevant! Though i do think they will be primarily looking for Hodges n Tizard/ Rutter et al.

Phew! I wrote about H&T, Skeels and Dye (1939) and Quinton (1985) who studied the "cycle of privation" in institutionalised women.

I didn't put Rutter down because it's not explicitly to do with institutional care, if anything, it's more related to disruption of attachment...
Reply 49
Original post by sonnu
For the learning theory question, I wrote the babies in orphanages would not become attached because they cannot associate the food with the caregiver as they don't pick the babies up when feeding them. Is this ok?

I put something along those lines, I don't know why they had to be so awkward about asking the question in the way it was asked...
Reply 50
Does anyone know if you would lose marks for just outline and evaluating the Hodges and Tizard study with no reference to Rutter as long as you did a relatively good evaluation?
Reply 51
Any news on the unofficial mark scheme yet? :redface:
Reply 52
Original post by RamsSR

I think anything to do with institutional care will do. So they're all fine, as would be Robertson and Robertson, as John was in institutional care for 9 days.
For the 12 marker of institutional care it was also asked in June 2010.
From the mark scheme of that paper.

Outline and evaluate research into the effects of institutional care.
Candidates may refer to research studies in this question. Any relevant research can be credited, but it must relate to the effects of institutional care. Koluchova’s study of the twins and Curtis’s study of Genie are not relevant. Hodges and Tizard studied 65 children brought up in a children’s home until they were around four years old. Almost all of the adopted children and some of the restored children formed close attachments to their parents, but they had difficulties with peer relationships and were more attention seeking than controls. Rutter studied Romanian children who had been placed in institutions before being adopted by UK families. Children who spent longer in the institutions were more likely to show long term effects. Other research such as Spitz, Goldfarb, Robertson or Freud and Dann would also be relevant. Candidates might refer to Bowlby’s work such as maternal deprivation hypothesis or the internal working model but this would need to relate to the effects of institutionalisation. Such research could be credited as AO1 or AO2, according to how it is used by the candidate. Commentary may include reference to the quality of care provided in the institution, or the effect such research has had on child care practice. Evaluation may refer to methodology. There is lack of control in all of the research as naturally occurring situations are used. Some children may have been placed in an institution because they had some pre-existing problems.
Original post by callumartell
does anyone know whether it will be possible to resit this exam or been as though they've changed the exam specification is it the last exam paper (psay1/2) that they are doing?

My psychology teacher said there will be no more resists as if we did it, it would be the new spec so we'd have to learn all of their syllabus...
i found it ok although it was hard... i mean some weird questions in research methods and didnt even know any study backing up the encoding for STM!
For the 12 marker i did well i wrote the PDD model,Robertson and Robertson,Rutter (orphanage is an institutional care) and hodges and Tizard
Reply 56
Any news on unofficial mark scheme?
Reply 57
I think it might be a while for the individual to make it, just due the fact the person is most likely studying for other courses etc. Perhaps we should all post answers that we think would be right for each question and create one collectively?
Reply 58
Does anyone know when the unofficial mark scheme will be done?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending