The Student Room Group

Keep hitting curb/being too far from curb when pulling over car?

Hi

I've been learning to drive and every time I pull over, I either end up hitting the curb or end up being too far away from the curb. I've tried using the knobbly bit on the windscreen wiper, and my external left wing mirror as reference points, but they don't seem to help.
Original post by SWIMSHALLOW
Hi

I've been learning to drive and every time I pull over, I either end up hitting the curb or end up being too far away from the curb. I've tried using the knobbly bit on the windscreen wiper, and my external left wing mirror as reference points, but they don't seem to help.

How long have you been learning for? Steering can take a long time to get the hang of, and you need to get used to the width of your car not being the width of you! It really is a guessing game; when you hit the curb you know you're too close, and when you're far out you know you need to be closer.

I promise it will get easier!
I used to suffer from this (only passed my test about a week back) but my biggest suggestion is to drop your speed right down i.e. 0.5-1 mile an hour, you can then make plenty of micro adjustments as you come in.

In fact my one big piece of advice for learning to drive and doing any maneuvers or roundabouts etc. is that whatever speed you are going at, go slower.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending