The Student Room Group

Teaching Portfolios (or other ways to document)

Hi

I'm starting a PGCE in September but I've been working as a TA in a primary school for the last year. I've seen some amazing teaching and fantastic lessons and wondered if I should be writing this down/taking notes for my PGCE year?

Someone mentioned to me that I should also be thinking about putting together a teaching portfolio containing all of the things I've taught (mainly maths boosters, interventions, speech and language groups etc). Should I be doing this so early on in my teaching career?

Thanks!
Original post by Vanillamoue
Hi

I'm starting a PGCE in September but I've been working as a TA in a primary school for the last year. I've seen some amazing teaching and fantastic lessons and wondered if I should be writing this down/taking notes for my PGCE year?

Someone mentioned to me that I should also be thinking about putting together a teaching portfolio containing all of the things I've taught (mainly maths boosters, interventions, speech and language groups etc). Should I be doing this so early on in my teaching career

Thanks!

Glad you've posted this as I'm wondering the same thing! I'm starting a Primary PGCE in September and volunteering at my host school prior to starting. I kept a logbook for my original volunteering experience before going for PGCE interviews but should I still be keeping one?!
Hi,
Definitely keep recording what you are doing, I'm doing the same before I start in Sept.
You will be used to doing it, which will stand you in good stead as I think we will spend a lot of time recording stuff during PGCE/NQT. Ensure it has a reflective element (what worked, what didn't, what would you change).
Reply 3
Original post by VelmaStaplebot
Hi,
Definitely keep recording what you are doing, I'm doing the same before I start in Sept.
You will be used to doing it, which will stand you in good stead as I think we will spend a lot of time recording stuff during PGCE/NQT. Ensure it has a reflective element (what worked, what didn't, what would you change).

Thank you! Would you recommend a specific type of record-keeping? Paper or electronic etc?

:smile:
I usually jot down a few things in a notebook during/immediately after and then type it up later. If you do it at the time it's much easier than trying to remember it later.
There are lots of examples online. Hope that helps.
I don't make formal notes, but I always note down good lesson ideas, behaviour management strategies, resources etc. I figure anything that might make the PGCE and NQT year less stressful is well worth doing.
I've been saving resources (and even making some of my own), admin the ITT FB group to support other trainees, have made my own teaching blog to support students and guide them on the Psychology forum on TSR and I've kept a log of all the tasks and achievements I've reached in my current role.
Reply 7
Original post by Findlay6
I've been saving resources (and even making some of my own), admin the ITT FB group to support other trainees, have made my own teaching blog to support students and guide them on the Psychology forum on TSR and I've kept a log of all the tasks and achievements I've reached in my current role.

What is your subject? :smile: and would you link your blog so others can get ideas? I've always heard that blogs are really good, especially to make lessons more interactive
Original post by anna__
What is your subject? :smile: and would you link your blog so others can get ideas? I've always heard that blogs are really good, especially to make lessons more interactive

Psychology.

www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherTraining1617/

It's not so much a 'dear diary' blog, it's aimed at students
iteachpsych.tumblr.com/
Reply 9
Original post by Findlay6
Psychology.

www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherTraining1617/

It's not so much a 'dear diary' blog, it's aimed at students
iteachpsych.tumblr.com/

I know what you mean, I used to follow them whilst doing my a levels for economics.
im at work atm but ill check it out later as I imagine tumblr will be blocked :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending