The Student Room Group

Would I even have a chance at dentistry?

Hi guys, basically I am a year 12 student, studying biology, chemistry, maths and economics. I just had my first AS exam today and I think it went okay. In my GCSE's I got 5A*'s(biology, chemistry, physics, maths and further maths), 4 A's(Spanish, history, English lit and English Lang), an A* in RS short course(only counts as half a GCSE) and an A in AS ICT(which I did a year early). Btw I'm really not trying to brag or anything like that, I literally just need the help as I don't know whether I have enough things going for me. For work experience, I've done some at a primary school, some at a dental surgery and in the summer, I have placements at a special needs primary school and some dental practices. I volunteer every week at a charity shop and I fundraise with a different charity regularly. I was just wondering if, when considering my GCSE's, work experience and volunteering, whether I would even stand a chance with dentistry? I understand that there are other factors such as my AS results, my predictions, extra curriculars, manual dexterity, UKCAT etc, but just based on what I've told you, what do you think? I'm currently looking at Manchester, Liverpool, King's, Birmingham and Sheffield. Any help would be appreciated. Please and thank you.
Probably not for Birmingham but anywhere else should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
Probably not for Birmingham but anywhere else should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I was just wondering whether that was because of my GCSE results or because of something else?
Reply 3
Hij, you stand a very good chance of applying for dentistry.
How many days was your dental work experience?
Do you have any longterm volunteer work?

Basically just do amazing on your ukcat/personal statement so that you have a good application.

Birmingham is quite tricky, because they tend to like lots of A*-A but i think you stand a good chance if you get good UKcat scores.

P.s im in year 13 and i just applied for dentistry. So if you have any other questions, just message me
My dental work experience was 1 week, but I have two dental practices booked for the summer. One for 1 week and the other for 2 weeks. I've been volunteering at the charity shop for just over a year now. Thank you so much for your help. Did you get any places?? And if so, where did you apply?
Reply 5
no probs.
Thats awesome. Try to get atleast 2 weeks dental practice tho coz thats a requirement for some universities. Keep going with the charity shop coz you can get loads of skills/experiences there to put in your personal statement and gain people contact.

Try also to get some varied W.E. e.g lab, hospital, ortho..but its no compulsory.

But right now, just focus on getting good AS grades (lol im not sure how the new alevl system works?) coz thats probs what you'll alppy with.

I have 3 offers for dentistry
And i applied to leeds manchester sheffield and bristol.
My back up was biomed at kings lol

Goodluck!
Original post by cilla_e
no probs.
Thats awesome. Try to get atleast 2 weeks dental practice tho coz thats a requirement for some universities. Keep going with the charity shop coz you can get loads of skills/experiences there to put in your personal statement and gain people contact.

Try also to get some varied W.E. e.g lab, hospital, ortho..but its no compulsory.

But right now, just focus on getting good AS grades (lol im not sure how the new alevl system works?) coz thats probs what you'll alppy with.

I have 3 offers for dentistry
And i applied to leeds manchester sheffield and bristol.
My back up was biomed at kings lol

Goodluck!

Thank you again, so much for your help. Wishing you the best of luck xx
Original post by cilla_e
Hij, you stand a very good chance of applying for dentistry.
How many days was your dental work experience?
Do you have any longterm volunteer work?

Basically just do amazing on your ukcat/personal statement so that you have a good application.

Birmingham is quite tricky, because they tend to like lots of A*-A but i think you stand a good chance if you get good UKcat scores.

P.s im in year 13 and i just applied for dentistry. So if you have any other questions, just message me

hi, I'm a year 12 student looking to apply to dentistry. do unis really focus on UKCAT for dentistry (ik there's a cut off point for med), when did you start preparing for it? also, how did you do in your GCSEs (if you don't mind me asking) because I got 5a* and 5a, but I know some people who got 9a* +, and would you say fewer a*s can put an applicant at a disadvantage? (sorry for asking so many qs!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi,
Thats okay, im glad youre considering dentistry.
Every university weighs the UKcat differently, for some universities (such as plymouth) it could be used as a cut off point for selecting candidates whilst for others it could be used boost your application if your grades arent exceptional (e.g kings) whilst other universities (e.g manchester) use it alongside your application to get a well rounded view of you as a candidate.
Regardless of this, just do the best that you can on the UKcat so be in a good position.

You dont need to worry about it now tho, book the test for the end of summer so you have sufficient time to prepare:smile:
i started preparing for it in late june and sat the test in early october, (lol i kept postponing the test coz i was a lil scared). but many people wouldnt need this much time. I'd say 2hours every day for 1month over the summer would be fine...depending on your ability tbh.

Your GCSE are good! They will support your applications.
I know a guy from queen marys that got into dentistry with 1A* and the rest As.
You are in a good position as long as you do well in your Aslevel. Ignore the other people -_-
my GCSEs were quite similar to yours.

I hope this helps!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest