Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Racist books could be pulled from shelves

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

This isn't government censorship. More like market capitalism.

The market has spoken.

(Original post by nulli tertius)
    You are doing a bit of cultural imperialism yourself here with the Swedes. You are assuming that Swedish attitudes to those images ought to be the same as yours. However, no British author in 1966 would have made a stereotypical pirate, a Muslim called Abdullah. A British author would have made him a Brit called Yellowbeard or something like that and he would have carried a cutlass not a scimitar.
    That is correct, our piratical stereotypes are based on buccaneers of broadly British blood, plundering the Spanish Main. And wonderful tales they are too, based as they are on a kernel of historical truth.

What is interesting is why Swedes have some form of collective folk memory of Muslim pirates.

You wouldn't have thought the Barbary pirates made many forays off the Swedish coast although they did make it as far as Iceland I believe.

Maybe some Swedes were captured and enslaved? Or is it purely a literary phenomenon?

Whatever. Muslim piracy, which was very extensive for several centuries is a historical fact, and it is very craven to completely expunge it from the culture as the Swedes are attempting to do.

(Original post by nulli tertius)

Tintin in the Congo is a special case. Unlike all the other Tintin books, it wasn't published in English at the time because of the offensiveness of its content. The first English edition was the 60th anniversary collectors' edition in 1991 and the more offensive 1946 edition (the one you have shown) wasn't published in English, again only to collectors, until 2005. Contemporary English language reading parents would have associated Belgium with atrocities in the Congo.

Tintin in the Congo was never withdrawn in French and was very popular in Francophone black Africa. Interestingly when first published in Swedish in 1975, the issue wasn't the book's racism but its attitude to wildlife (torturing and blowing up a rhinoceros amongst other things) that attracted controversy.
    A fellow Tintin buff? Good man if so.

I couldn't find an English edition of Congo as you said during my Tintin years (peak Tintin so to speak) and read it in French. Not my favourite by a long long way, in fact read more for duty than pleasure...

If you ARE a Tintin man, you will recall, since we were discussing pirates the wonderful scenes on that subject in Red Rackham's Treasure.

There was a Tintin exhibition in Somerset House earlier this year. Rather disappointing.

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    This isn't government censorship. More like market capitalism.

The market has spoken.
    The books have proven very popular, and have sold out. Might I humbly suggest that this shows that the market has indeed spoken, but in favour of the books?

That would suggest that this is merely self censorship by the publishers, which does not make financial sense if the books are this popular.

Ludicrous. I don't know anything about these books but art and literature should NEVER be censored. There's no reason for it except the usual puritans trying to feel good about themselves by going on a moral crusade.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.