The Student Room Group

What laptop is BEST for a student studying Photography?

I am looking to purchase a laptop before I go to University as my laptop is getting old.

I am studying photography so my laptop needs to work efficiently with Photoshop and images must be displayed in high quality. What laptop would be best?
HONESTLY I would actually say a Macbook Pro Retina (with at least i5, 8GB RAM and 2.3GHz). I've worked with my photographies on both a windows and osx computer over the last four years, and I have to admit that Photoshop, Bridge, InDesign, Lightroom etc runs hella more smoothly on the Macbook than the Windows PC. No idea how the Adobe programs interact with Windows 10, though, so if you could get your hands on one and try them out I bet there wouldn't be much of a difference. Personally, I've become accustomed to working with media on the Macbook, so it's my go-to tool when I need to get work done. For all the other things I might want to do (browsing the web, writing, watch movies etc) I just boot up the computer that's currently phsyically closest to my person haha.

EDIT: You would also, obviously, need a proper monitor, but I guess your university have a couple or more of those, so just hook your laptop of choice up to that. Proper monitors for video and photo editing costs a lot - even when they're bought used.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest