The Student Room Group

GSCE Biology CORE B1, Homeostasis

Can someone please help me with the basics of homeostasis. I thought i knew it, but then some of my friends said it wasn't that so i would like to know what it is properly.
when the temperature is to hot
erector muscles relax so hair lie flat
lots of swear is produced when the sweat evaporates it transfers heat from your skin to the envirnomentcooling u down
blood vessels close to the surface of the skin widen this is called vasodilation it allows more blood to flow near the surface so it can transfer mor heat to surrounding

oppsite when it is to cold nd when u got your science exam
Original post by Dan1260
Can someone please help me with the basics of homeostasis. I thought i knew it, but then some of my friends said it wasn't that so i would like to know what it is properly.

lots of swear is produced when the sweat evaporates it transfers heat from your skin to the envirnomentcooling u down
blood vessels close to the surface of the skin widen this is called vasodilation it allows more blood to flow near the surface so it can transfer mor heat to surrounding

Reply 3
Original post by IhateScience247

This much detail is B3, all you really need to know for B1 is that homeostasis regulates ion content, water content, sugar content and temperature. Homeostasis: the functions of your body trying to maintain constant internal conditions or something like that.

Ion content: regulated by kidneys

Sugar content: regulated by insulin controlling blood glucose levels

Water content: regulated through sweat and urine

Temperature: regulated through part of the brain (possible called hypothalamus can't remember sorry) with skin receptors sending signals when too hot/cold

Sorry if I forgot anything :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending