Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

MSc in Information Security, Cyber Security

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hello. I am looking for a nice MSc in the specified field. The universities that have been suggested to me, are the following ones:

1)Southampton (Cyber Security)
    2)Birmingham (Cyber Security)
    3)Royal Holloway (Information Security)
    4)Bristol (but I could not find an MSc in the field of security)

and last but not least the University of Portsmouth(which is so-so as I have heard for the following MSc, Computer Information and Security).
    I would like to know if you could help me sort them out in an order of better to worst. Thank you very much and I am looking forward to your answers.

Check out league tables

I have already done that, but I need to know more about the opportunities that one can have from each and everyone of these MScs. I was hoping that postgraduate students could enlighten me more in that matter.

I am doing it in Bournemouth Uni but it is not really good i am not have a great time here
    Southampton (Cyber Security),Royal Holloway (Information Security) are good
    you have to see the models
    all the best

I am doing the MSc in Cyber Security at the Uni of York and it is GCHQ accredited. It has a lot of practical sessions in network security, cryptography, forensics, malware, intrusion detection, pertest-vulnerability assessment etc.

I have to say my security skills were entry level when I went there, the MSc was demanding and I have learned a lot of things since then. One of the reasons I chose it was the practical sessions. For example in our forensics course we were given laptops to take home and work on the practical assessment we had. We also had a practical session in malware analysis, where we worked on static and dynamic analysis techniques.

I have to say though that you need to have good programming and networking background.

About the other MSc courses I have heard that RHUL has around 150-170 students every year and doesn't offer lots of practical sessions, however it has a great reputation.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.