The Student Room Group

SOCIOLOGY AS PAPER 1 - How did it go?

Did the paper today, it went okay. What did everyone else write for question 3? Education unit; Question 3 - three policies that promote girls achievement

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I put national curriculum, gist/wise, and abolishing of the 11+. I'm not sure if that last one was in the last 40 years though. The 20mark on social class went great though.
Reply 2
Original post by Shan_non
I put national curriculum, gist/wise, and abolishing of the 11+. I'm not sure if that last one was in the last 40 years though. The 20mark on social class went great though.
Yeah i liked the second twenty marker
I put the introduction of coursework favouring girls as it required sustained effort that girls are more likely to out in. National curriculum - chance to be taught the same things etc.. And gist and wise as one answer
What did people put for the 10 marker?
Didn't like the 10 mark
I put hidden curriculum and setting/streaming then for the conclusions talked about how external factors also effected achievement not just internal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
For the 10 marker I put marketinaction and ethnocentric curriculum
Reply 7
Hello can anyone remind me of what the 10 marker was
Original post by Shan_non

I put league tables, 1970 equal pay act, and introduction of coursework. Is this too specific?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was that old spec or new spec?What other questions were there....?
Original post by Lilclarke99
I put the introduction of coursework favouring girls as it required sustained effort that girls are more likely to out in. National curriculum - chance to be taught the same things etc.. And gist and wise as one answer

I put the exact same points as you for that question lol
Mentioning Equal Pay act 1970 and Sex Discrimination Act may be correct. The Equal Pay act was introduced in 1970, but was in action in 1975, and as the paper was written 1.5 years ago, I guess it is within 40 years. I hope I'm correct. :l
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
For the 10 marker, I wrote about the ethnocentric curriculum as it's one function within the school and may lead to underachievement as well as labelling and streaming!
Reply 13
For question 3 could do you think these answers will be accepted?
-GIST and STEM
-Equal Pay Act [Don't know why I decided to write that]
-Removal of sexist images in textbooks

Are they social policies?
Reply 14
Original post by Rehan Nasir
Mentioning Equal Pay act 1970 and Sex Discrimination Act may be correct. The Equal Pay act was introduced in 1970, but was in action in 1975, and as the paper was written 1.5 years ago, I guess it is within 40 years. I hope I'm correct. :l

I put equal pay act down too, it better be accepted.
GIST, STEM and Equal Pay Act seems correct.

Removal of sexist image, to me, is more to do with something that has happened because of other social policies and because of the changes in women's position. It's more of an effect due to the changes in society since 40 years.

Double check on the Internet or ask your teacher.
Reply 16
For the ten marker I wrote streaming and for my second point meritocracy, is that legit yeah?

The 2 marker definition through me, I'd never heard of it.
Reply 17
Original post by Rehan Nasir
GIST, STEM and Equal Pay Act seems correct.

Removal of sexist image, to me, is more to do with something that has happened because of other social policies and because of the changes in women's position. It's more of an effect due to the changes in society since 40 years.

Double check on the Internet or ask your teacher.

Hopefully I would have bagged 20 marks for my essay
Meritocracy is correct.
Labelling is more to do with teachers and how it affects pupils. The question was asking about the 'role of education', so do you think labelling in linked with the 'role'?

Also, you need to refer back to the question and explain how the role of education leads to achievement or how it affects them. Try also to criticise, in case, just for extra points by other theories.

The 2 maker was quite challenging, but it was just the extra schools or help provided in deprived areas such as EAZ. I suggest you photocopy the key words in your book and stick them on your bedroom wall. Make sure to read them as you walk or take a break and do this everyday. This will help you memorise the words for next week's exam.

Like I said, double chek with your teachers; I may be wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
I've hopefully bagged 20 marks for the first essay! Stupid 6 marker.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending